Flames NewsFlames Home > News
Women's Tennis Edged by Gardner-Webb, 4-3
Playing its outdoor home opener at Liberty's Hershey Tennis Courts, the Liberty women's tennis team fell to Gardner-Webb, 4-3, Friday afternoon, in a Big South Conference clash.
Liberty falls to 1-9, and 0-2 in Big South matches. Gardner-Webb improves to 6-3 on the year, and 2-1 in conference contests.
The Runin' Bulldogs claimed a 1-0 lead behind a pair of doubles wins in the No. 1 and No. 3 matches. Cameron Richard and Brittany Yang defeated Alice Hopkins and Yasmin Doost in the No. 2 match, 8-2, for Liberty's sole doubles win.
The visitors stretched their advantage to 2-0 with a win in the No. 2 singles slot, before Brittany Yang put up Liberty's first team point of the afternoon. Yang knocked off Iona Oprea, 6-3, 6-3, in the No. 3 match.
The Lady Flames knotted the score 2-2, as Annisha Domenech defeated Ronia Hutterli in straight sets, 7-5, 6-2, at the No. 6 slot in the lineup.
After another Gardner-Webb win in the No. 4 position, Carol Lobel locked the score at three apiece with a come-from-behind victory. The senior dropped the opening set in a tiebreaker, 7-6 (2), but bounced back to take the final two sets, 6-2, 6-4, to tie the match.
With the overall match coming down to the No. 1 contest, Gardner-Webb's Erica White clinched her team's victory, edging out Alexandra Sheeran in a third-set tiebreaker, 6-1, 3-6, 7-6 (4).
Liberty will now set out for its annual spring break trip, but will match up with Coker tomorrow in Hartsville, S.C., as they travel to Florida. Match time is slated for 10 a.m.
Gardner-Webb 4, Liberty 3
1. Oprea/Lunde (GWU) def. Sheeran/Lobel (LU), 8-0
2. Richard/Yang (LU) def. Hopkins/Doost (GWU), 8-2
3. White/Hutterli (GWU) def. Jenkins/Boda (LU), 8-2
1. White (GWU) def. Sheeran (LU), 6-1, 3-6, 7-6 (7-4)
2. Hopkins (GWU) def. Richard (LU), 6-2, 6-0
3. Yang (LU) def. Oprea (GWU), 6-2, 6-3
4. Lunde (GWU) def. Jenkins (LU), 6-4, 6-4
5. Lobel (LU) def. Doost (GWU), 6-7 (2-7), 6-2, 6-4
6. Domenech (LU) def. Hutterli (GWU), 7-5, 6-2