Flames NewsFlames Home > News
Singles Play Leads UMBC Over Lady Flames
Despite taking a 1-0 advantage with the doubles point, the Liberty women's tennis team fell to UMBC, 5-2 on Wednesday. The Retrievers won five of the six singles matches at the UMBC Tennis Complex.
Liberty falls to 1-8 with the loss, and UMBC improves to 6-5 with its third straight victory.
The Lady Flames earned the early advantage by taking the No. 2 and No. 3 doubles matches. Cameron Richard and Brittany Yang notched their second win as a duo this spring, taking down Shalini Sahoo and Josefin Stange-Jonsson, 8-5, in the No. 2 slot. Rebekah Jenkins and Jessie Boda claimed the No. 3 match in extra games, 9-7, defeating Heidi Danielsson and Kyri Hadji.
The Retrievers then rallied in singles play, earning wins in five of the six singles matches, including two of the three matches which were pushed to a third set.
The Lady Flames' sole singles point came from senior Carol Lobel, who knocked off Danielsson in three sets in the No. 5 contest. Lobel took the first set, 6-2, before her opponent squared the match in the second, 7-5. Lobel then claimed the slight edge in the third set, 7-5.
Freshmen Yang and Nicola Wellman both fought back to square their respective matches in the No. 3 and No. 4 positions, by taking the second set. However, their Retriever opponents both claimed the third sets.
Liberty's next match comes on Friday, with the Lady Flames hosting Big South foe, Gardner-Webb at 1 p.m. The contest is slated as the team's first outdoor home match of 2012, at Liberty's Hershey Tennis Courts. Fans will be able to track the match with live stats.
UMBC 5, Liberty 2
1. Berghaus/Jackman (UMBC) def. Sheeran/Wellman (LU), 8-3
2. Richard/Yang (LU) def. Sahoo/Stange-Jonsson (UMBC), 8-5
3. Jenkins/Boda (LU) def. Danielsson/Hadji (UMBC), 9-7
1. Berghaus (UMBC) def. Sheeran (LU, 6-3, 6-1
2. Sahoo (UMBC) def. Richard (LU), 6-4, 6-2
3. Jackman (UMBC) def. Yang (LU), 6-2, 4-6, 6-3
4. Aldunate (UMBC) def. Wellman (LU), 6-4, 2-6, 6-4
5. Lobel (LU) def. Danielsson (UMBC), 6-2, 5-7, 7-5
6. Stange-Jonsson (UMBC) def. Domenech (LU), 6-4, 6-3