Flames NewsFlames Home > Golf Home > News
Coach's Corner with Thomas and Dembowiak
Earlier this week, Nick Pierce of the Flames Sports Network had a chance to catch up with head golf coach Jeff Thomas and senior Preston Dembowiak.
During today's audio interview, Pierce talks with Thomas and Dembowiak following Liberty's convincing victory at the 2011 Big South Men's Golf Championship, an event that Liberty won by 31 strokes.
Thomas, who was named Big South Coach of the Year prior to the championship, guided Liberty to it's first-ever league title when the Flames fired an eight-under par 856 (290-277-289).
Dembowiak led the Flames, as the senior captured his first collegiate individual title by firing a career-best seven-under par 209 (70-66-73). Liberty claimed the top three spots on the 40-man leaderboard, as Dembowiak was followed by Max McKay (71-69-73-213) and Robert Karlsson (73-71-70-214).
By virtue of capturing the Big South title, Liberty claimed the Big South's automatic bid to the NCAA Regionals, which will be contested at six locations around the country on May 19-21. The postseason event will mark Liberty's third NCAA Regional appearance, following two at-large selections in 2003 and 2006.
2011 NCAA Regional locations:
• Golden Ocala Golf Club (Ocala, Fla. – Florida host)
• Pete Dye River Course (Blacksburg, Va. – Virginia Tech host)
• Wolf Run Golf Club (Zionsville, Ind. – Indiana host)
• Colorado National Golf Club (Erie, Colo. – Colorado host)
• The Farms Golf Club (Ranchero Santa Fe, Calif. – San Diego host)
• Omni Tucson National Resort (Tucson, Ari. – Arizona host)