Flames NewsFlames Home > Lacrosse Home > News
Lady Flames to Face No. 6 Notre Dame
The Liberty Lady Flames lacrosse team will play as the host team in tomorrow's neutral-site contest against No. 6 Notre Dame. The contest will be played at Thompson Field in Blacksburg, Va., at 3 p.m.
Live stats will be made available by the Liberty Athletics Communications department and StatBroadcast. Fans can access live stats by clicking on the appropriate link on the lacrosse schedule/results panel. Fans can also follow live updates on Twitter by following @LUGameday.
Last Time Out
The Lady Flames squandered a two-goal lead at halftime, falling to Old Dominion on Saturday by a score of 12-8 in Norfolk, Va. Liberty started out red hot, taking a 6-2 advantage midway through the first half. The Lady Monarchs netted two goals late in the opening stanza to cut the Liberty lead in half, 6-4, at the intermission. The Lady Flames fell victim to a cold offense in the second half, only scoring twice on 10 shots. Old Dominion netted eight second-half goals to down Liberty, 12-8.
Callie Francis led Liberty in points during the loss, picking up a season-best four points. Francis netted two goals and dished out two assists during the contest. Michaela Rich and Kallie Britton also netted two goals, while Kayla Foster recorded two assists of her own.
Same Name, Double the Trouble
Senior captains Kallie Britton and Callie Francis rank first and third on the team in points. Francis is currently tied with freshman Kayla Foster for the most points (14) and the most assists (7). The redshirt senior has also accounted for seven goals. Britton leads the team in goals scored with nine. The Kansas native has also accounted for 10 points. Britton and Francis have combined for 14 ground balls, 13 draw controls and eight caused turnovers.
Kayla Foster has stepped up in a tremendous way for the Liberty offense. Foster leads the team in both points (14) and assists (7). The Pennsylvania native also is tied for third on the team in goals with seven.
Brittons Got Talent
Sisters Abby and Kallie Britton have accounted for 17 goals and two assists thus far. Kallie leads the team in goals with nine, while Abby is right on her tail with eight. Abby, a sophomore midfielder, has surged onto the scene for the Lady Flames. The Kansas native recorded one goal a season ago and has already netted eight goals on 10 shots this season. Kallie has owned up to her label of captain. The senior midfielder has netted a team-best nine goals and recorded one assist. Kallie ranks third on the team in points (10) and has successfully recorded two points per contest.
Defensive Wins Championships
The defensive core of Colleen Ekert, Meghan Hammond, Lindsey McNamara, Victoria Tickle and Melanie Via have lived up to their potential. The quintet has combined for 56 of Liberty's 112 ground balls this season, to complement 39 of the Lady Flames' 59 caused turnovers. Tickle leads the squad in ground balls with 19 (new career high) and ranks third in the NCAA in ground balls per game with 4.75. Ekert and Hammond have 14 and 11 ground balls, respectively. Ekert leads the defense and ranks seventh in the NCAA in caused turnovers per game with 2.80. McNamara, Tickle and Via each have eight caused turnovers this season to accompany Ekert's 14.
12 Rounds with the Fighting Irish
- The Irish enter the week with a 5-1 overall record, with a chance to improve on that mark today against Virginia Tech at 3 p.m.
- Notre Dame enters the week ranked No. 6 in the country, slipping one spot in the IWLCA Coaches Poll.
- Most recently, Notre Dame fell to No. 11 Louisville by a score of 10-9 in double overtime on Saturday.
- Notre Dame is outscoring opponents 89-34 through its first six contests, ranking No. 8 in the NCAA in scoring offense (14.83) and No. 5 in scoring defense (5.67).
- The Irish have assisted in 53 goals, only allowing eight assisted goals all season. The Irish rank No. 2 in the NCAA in assists per game with 8.83.
- The Irish have accounted for 91 caused turnovers, compared to 59 from the Lady Flames.
- Notre Dame has successfully cleared 79 of its 97 attempts, for a clear percentage of .814.
- Cortney Fortunato leads the Irish in goals with 21, ranking second in the nation in goals scored.
- Fortunato continues to climb up the all-time Notre Dame leaderboard, ranking sixth in goals scored and ninth in career points.
- Barbara Sullivan anchors the draw control unit, successfully collecting 27 draw controls this season to lead the team.
- The Irish have six players who have accounted for double-digit points thus far in the season.
- Freshman goalie Samantha Giacolone ranks sixth in the NCAA in saves percentage (.568) and has recorded a 5-1 overall record this season.
Following tomorrow's showdown, the Lady Flames return to action on Saturday when they host Lehigh at 3 p.m., at the Liberty Lacrosse Field. Saturday's contest starts a four-game homestand for Liberty.