Flames NewsFlames Home > Women's Basketball Home > News
WBB Game Day Central: Presbyterian
Liberty Flames Sports Network – TV
Big South Network
Play-By-Play Broadcaster: Mike Tilley
Color Commentator: Kelley Deyo
Sideline Reporter: Lyndsay Keith
Erin Hagen, Adam Deyo and Heather Stephens
Liberty Flames Sports Network – Radio
WWMC 90.9 FM The Light
Play-By-Play Broadcaster: Jamie Hall
Big South-leading Liberty (8-5, 4-0 Big South) will wrap up its quick two-game homestand against defensive-minded Presbyterian (7-6, 2-2 Big South), Monday at 7 p.m. at the Vines Center.
The "Starting Five" - Liberty's Top Storylines
1) After an impressive 17-point victory over High Point on Saturday, Liberty is 4-0 in the Big South for the first time since 2008-09 and is one of only two remaining unbeaten teams in conference play (Winthrop is 3-0). The Lady Flames have played strong defense in conference games, holding opponents to 28.7 percent field goal shooting and 53.0 ppg.
2) Speaking of strong defense, Presbyterian ranks No. 3 nationally in scoring defense, allowing only 48.5 ppg this season. Only one team (Charlotte) has reached the 60-point mark against the Blue Hose in 2014-15. Liberty has scored 60 or more points in only two of its last night matchups against PC.
3) A Liberty victory would mark the Lady Flames' 250th all-time win at the Vines Center. Liberty is 249-64 (.796) in 25 seasons of playing at the Vines Center, including 178-28 (.864) under head coach Carey Green.
4) Ashley Rininger is averaging 17.5 ppg, 16.5 rpg and 4.0 bpg during her two games since returning from Christmas break, including a career-best 20-rebound outburst against High Point on Saturday. She excelled during Liberty's home victory against Presbyterian last season, contributing 18 points and 11 rebounds.
5) Emily Frazier has played well in each of Liberty's last two home matchups with the Blue Hose (Jan. 3, 2013 and Jan. 11, 2014), scoring 16 points in each game.
Liberty vs. Presbyterian At a Glance
Series Record: Liberty leads, 11-2.
Current Streak: Liberty won the most recent meeting.
Series Record at Liberty: Liberty leads, 6-1.
Current Streak at Liberty: Liberty won the most recent meeting.
Last Meeting Overall: Liberty 67, Presbyterian 42 (March 6, 2014 at Conway, S.C.)
Last Meeting at Liberty: Liberty 59, Presbyterian 51 (Jan. 11, 2014)
PC's Last Series Victory: Presbyterian 46, Liberty 43 (Feb. 13, 2014 at Presbyterian)
PC's Last Series Victory at Liberty: Presbyterian 51, Liberty 49 (Jan. 3, 2013)
Liberty Head Coach: Carey Green
Overall Record (Seasons): 365-126 (16th Season)
Record at Liberty (Seasons): Same
Record vs. Presbyterian: 11-2
Presbyterian Head Coach: Ronny Fisher
Overall Record (Seasons): 70-122 (Seventh Season)
Record at Presbyterian (Seasons): Same
Record vs. Liberty: 2-10
Notes and Anecdotes
• Liberty had won its first nine all-time meetings with Presbyterian before the two teams split their four matchups in 2012-13 and 2013-14.
• Presbyterian ranks No. 3 nationally for fewest points allowed (48.5 ppg). Only one opponent (Charlotte with 66 points on Dec. 18) has scored more than 60 points against the Blue Hose this season.
• The last eight Liberty-Presbyterian contests have been played at PC's desired pace, with the Lady Flames winning by an average score of 55.8 to 46.6.
• Presbyterian is 5-0 at home this season, but just 2-6 away from the friendly confines of the Templeton Center.
• Emily Frazier has scored 16 points during each of Presbyterian's last two visits to the Vines Center (Jan. 3, 2013 and Jan. 11, 2014).
• Liberty and PC have played five common opponents this season (Charlotte, VCU, Gardner-Webb, UNC Asheville and High Point). The Lady Flames have gone 4-1 against those teams, while the Blue Hose are 2-3.
• Freshman guard Janie Miles is leading the Blue Hose in scoring at 9.2 ppg. She hails from Daniel High School, the same school that the legendary Pete Maravich attended.
Unbeaten in the Big South
The Lady Flames are off to their first 4-0 conference start since 2008-09, when they started 15-0.
• Liberty has played strong defense in its first four Big South games, yielding just 53.0 ppg and holding opponents to 28.7 percent field goal shooting.
Feasting at the Foul Line
The Lady Flames lead the Big South and rank No. 11 nationally at 76.8 percent on the season.
• Liberty's season record for free throw percentage is 72.8 percent, set in 2007-08.
A Look Back at Liberty's 64-47 Win Over High Point
• Liberty defeated High Point, 64-47, in a battle between Big South Conference co-leaders thanks to stifling defense, Saturday afternoon at the Vines Center.
• The Lady Flames limited the Panthers (7-6, 3-1 Big South) to season lows for points (47) and field goal percentage (21.1 percent, 12-of-57), handing High Point its first conference loss of the season.
• High Point's Kaylah Keys and Stacia Robertson entered the game as the Big South's two leading scorers but combined for just 18 points on 5-of-28 from the field.
• Liberty improved to 8-5 overall and took sole possession of first place in the Big South standings at 4-0 by snapping High Point's string of three straight wins at the Vines Center.
• The Lady Flames jumped out to a 20-5 lead to start the game and never looked back.
• Liberty controlled the interior throughout the game, as evidenced by their rebounding advantage (52-34), points in the paint edge (34-12) and eight blocked shots.
• Ashley Rininger led all players in points (13), rebounds (career-high 20) and blocked shots (4) for her second straight double-double, fifth of the season and 24th of her career.
• Rininger became the first Lady Flame to pull down 20 boards in a game since Avery Warley had 22 caroms against Charleston Southern on March 10, 2012.
• Katelyn Adams added a season-best 11 points.
• Karly Buer reached double digits for the fourth straight game and the 12th time in 13 contests this season with 11 points of her own.
• Sadalia Ellis distributed a team-high seven assists for the Lady Flames.
Ashley Rininger has returned from Christmas break with a pair of impressive performances, averaging 17.5 ppg, 16.5 rpg and 4.0 bpg in wins over UNC Asheville and High Point.
• Rininger pulled down a career-high 20 rebounds against High Point, which was the most by a Lady Flame since March 10, 2012. (Avery Warley - 22 versus Charleston Southern)
Liberty leads the Big South and is tied for 20th nationally with 5.6 blocked shots per game. The Lady Flames have not topped the conference in blocks since 2004-05.
• Ashley Rininger is leading the way, ranking third in the Big South with 2.2 bpg. She has rejected 14 shots in the last three games and is one of only five Lady Flames ever to block 100 career shots.
• Teammate Katelyn Adams is nearing the century mark herself, as the redshirt junior enters Monday's contest with 98 career rejections.