Flames NewsFlames Home > Women's Basketball Home > News
WBB Game Day Central: Gardner-Webb
Liberty Flames Sports Network – TV
Big South Network
Play-By-Play Broadcaster: Mike Tilley
Color Commentator: Kelley Deyo
Sideline Reporter: Chierstin Susel
Erin Hagen, Adam Deyo and Heather Stephens
Liberty Flames Sports Network – Radio
WWMC 90.9 FM The Light
Play-By-Play Broadcaster: Jamie Hall
Liberty's (5-2, 1-0 Big South) only December home game will be the Lady Flames' Big South home opener, as Gardner-Webb (3-5, 0-1 Big South) is set to visit the Vines Center, Saturday at 7 p.m.
The "Starting Five" - Liberty's Top Storylines
1) Both Liberty and Gardner-Webb could be a bit road-weary entering Saturday's game. This is the Lady Flames' only home game in a span of six weeks between Nov. 22 and Jan. 3. Meanwhile, the Runnin' Bulldogs are closing out a five-game road trip, which is their longest of the 2014-15 season.
2) Liberty and Gardner-Webb have each played four games decided by 10 or fewer points already this season. The Lady Flames are 3-1 in those contests, while the Runnin' Bulldogs are 1-3. Eight of the previous 15 meetings between Liberty and Gardner-Webb have been decided by 10 or fewer points. The Lady Flames have gone 5-3 in those games.
3) The two teams are heading in opposite directions entering Saturday's matchup. Liberty has won a season-best three straight games and five of its last six. Gardner-Webb has dropped back-to-back games and three of its last four outings.
4) Coming off of a season-best 26-point outburst at Radford, newcomer Karly Buer is leading the Lady Flames in scoring at 14.9 ppg. She has reached double digits in all seven games and tops the Big South in free throw percentage at 88.5 percent.
5) Sophomore forward Simone Brown added 18 points at Radford and is averaging 17.3 ppg during the last three outings, all Liberty victories. Prior to her recent surge, Brown's career scoring average stood at just 5.4 ppg.
Liberty vs. Gardner-Webb At a Glance
Series Record: Liberty leads, 12-3.
Current Streak: Liberty has won six consecutive meetings.
Series Record at Liberty: Liberty leads, 4-1.
Current Streak at Liberty: Liberty won three consecutive meetings.
Last Meeting Overall: Liberty 72, Gardner-Webb 62 (Feb. 15, 2014 at Gardner-Webb)
Last Meeting at Liberty: Liberty 72, Gardner-Webb 40 (Jan. 9, 2014)
Gardner-Webb's Last Series Victory: GWU 67, Liberty 66 (March 13, 2011 at HPU)
Gardner-Webb's Last Series Victory at Liberty: GWU 59, Liberty 56 (Feb. 8, 2010)
Liberty Head Coach: Carey Green
Overall Record (Seasons): 362-123 (16th Season)
Record at Liberty (Seasons): Same
Record vs. Gardner-Webb: 12-3
Gardner-Webb Head Coach: Rick Reeves
Overall Record (Seasons): 421-400 (29th Season)
Record at Gardner-Webb (Seasons): 154-162 (11th Season)
Record vs. Liberty: 3-12
Notes and Anecdotes
• Prior to Saturday, both Liberty and Gardner-Webb have been on extended road swings since each team last hosted a game on Nov. 22. The Lady Flames just finished a stretch of four straight games away from Lynchburg, while the Runnin' Bulldogs are playing their final contest of a season-long five-game road trip.
• Gardner-Webb is just 1-4 on the road this season and has lost back-to-back road matchups, against Presbyterian and UNCG.
• Liberty and Gardner-Webb have each played four games decided by 10 points or fewer this season. The Lady Flames are 3-1 in tight contests, while the Runnin' Bulldogs are just 1-3.
• Saturday's game will mark the first time Liberty and Gardner-Webb have ever faced one another in December. The two teams' earliest meeting in the season had been on Jan. 2, 2010.
• Liberty's Jaymee Fisher-Davis and Gardner-Webb's Mayhana Dunovant were team-
mates at Butler High School in 2010-11, helping their team go 30-1.
• Gardner-Webb head coach Rick Reeves previously served as Liberty's head coach for nine seasons (1990-91 through 1998-99), leading the Lady Flames to their first three Big South Conference titles (1996-97, 1997-98 and 1998-99 seasons).
Liberty in Big South Home Openers
All-Time Record in Big South Home Openers: 16-7
Carey Green's Record in Big South Home Openers: 11-4
Current Streak: Liberty won its most recent Big South home opener, snapping a streak of three straight losses.
Last Year's Big South Home Opener: Liberty 70, Radford 49 (Dec. 7, 2013)
Liberty's Last Loss in a Big South Home Opener: Presbyterian 51, LU 49 (Jan. 3, 2013)
Layover in Lynchburg
Saturday's game is Liberty's only home contest during the month of December and the Lady Flames' lone Vines Center appearance between Nov. 22 and Jan. 3, a span of six weeks. The Lady Flames have fared well on the road, going 3-1 since their last home game.
A Look Back at Liberty's 72-63 Win at Radford
• After Radford had taken a 49-45 second-half lead over Liberty during both teams' Big South opener, Dec. 6 at the Dedmon Center, the Lady Flames took the lead for good with a 12-0 surge. Liberty went on to close out a 72-63 victory.
• The Lady Flames have now won three straight games overall, five straight Big South openers, seven consecutive games against in-state opponents and eight straight matchups with the Highlanders.
• Liberty won despite being outrebounded by 18 (47-29) by Radford. It was the Lady Flames' largest rebounding deficit since DePaul posted a +21 (47-26) rebound margin aganst the Lady Flames in the NCAA Tournament on March 18, 2006.
• The Lady Flames set season highs for free throws made (26), free throws attempted (31), free throw percentage (83.1) and blocked shots (10), while committing a season-low 14 turnovers.
• Liberty's 10 blocks were their most since turning away 12 Charleston Southern shots on Jan. 10, 2013.
• Karly Buer led the way with a season-high 26 points, the most by a Lady Flame since Ashley Rininger had 27 markers at Charleston Southern on Jan. 2, 2014. It was just one point shy of Buer's collegiate career high of 27 points, which she scored for Missouri State against Wichita State on Feb. 10, 2012.
• Simone Brown scored in double digits for the third straight game with 18 points, going 10-of-10 from the free throw line. She was the first Lady Flame to make at least 10 foul shots in a game without a miss since Avery Warley hit all 12 of her attempts at Charleston Southern on Jan. 16, 2012.
• Sadalia Ellis' five steals were the most by a Lady Flame since March 24, 2013.
Feasting at the Foul Line
Liberty is shooting 81.1 percent at the free throw line during the last three games and now leads the Big South at 75.6 percent on the season.
• Liberty's season record for free throw percentage is 72.8 percent, set in 2007-08.
• Individually, Karly Buer leads the Big South at 88.5 percent and has made 11 straight free throws. Simone Brown ranks second in the conference at 87.5 percent and has hit 15 foul shots in a row.
Winning the Battle of the Boards
Radford outrebounded Liberty by a 47-29 count on Dec. 6, snapping the Lady Flames' streak of 13 straight games winning the rebounding battle, dating back to last season.