Flames NewsFlames Home > Men's Basketball Home > News
MBB Game Day Central: Cancun Challenge
The Liberty men's basketball team heads to Cancun, Mexico on Tuesday, competing in the first of two neutral site games in the Cancun Challenge. The Flames will square off with North Florida, marking the first-ever meeting between two squads. Liberty looks to rebound from back-to-back losses, while the Ospreys are also on a two-game skid. Game time is slated for 4 p.m. (EST) with the contest streaming on College Sports Live.
What to Watch for
- Senior forward Tomasz Gielo enters Tuesday's contest with 699 points. He is currently 39th on Liberty's all-time scoring list.
- Things are looking up for Andrew Smith after rebounding from a tough start to the season on Saturday. After averaging below 4.0 ppg in the first three contests, Smith finished the game with 13 tallies, including 11 in the first half.
- After hitting six or more three pointers in each of the first three games, the Flames finished Saturday night with just three treys. Defensively, Liberty is holding its opponents to 27.9 percent (19-of-68) from downtown.
- Liberty had 48 assists in its first three games, the most during the span since the 2011-12 season (51). However, against Miami (Ohio), Liberty finished with seven assists, all coming courtesy of Joe Retic's career-high performance. Expect Liberty to spread the wealth more, Tuesday.
- The Flames' appearance in the Cancun Challenge marks the program's first trip to Mexico. Liberty's women's basketball team previously played in Cancun during the 2006-07 season. The Lady Flames were part of the Caribbean Classic, squaring off with Texas-Arlington and Pittsburgh.
- Liberty is competing in the Mayan Division of the Cancun Challenge and will face either Morgan State or Elon in its second game in Mexico.