Flames NewsFlames Home > Men's Basketball Home > News
MBB Game Day Central: Miami (Ohio)
Game Day Central
Liberty Game Notes
Liberty continues play stateside in the Cancun Challenge, Saturday afternoon, taking on Miami University (Ohio). The Flames are looking for their first-ever win over the RedHawks, with Miami leading the all-time series, 2-0. Tipoff for the third installment in the series is slated for 3:30 p.m.
What to Watch for
- Liberty has hit 21 three-pointers in the first three games, marking the most treys in the opening three contests since the 2008-09 season. That year, the Flames knocked down 31 trifectas during the span.
- After sitting out last season, redshirt freshman Ryan Kemrite showed no signs of rust at Virginia Tech. The homeschool product posted 11 points on 4-of-4 shooting, which included a trio of treys. Look for Kemrite to continue to embrace his role in Flames offense in the games ahead.
- Joe Retic may have ran into foul trouble on Wednesday, but he still found a way to make an impact against the Hokies. Playing just 18 minutes, Retic finished with 10 points and four assists. Expect for Retic to continue to display his scoring abilities after averaging 10.5 ppg in the last two contests.
- As a result of Retic's absence, Peter Moller received a season-high 32 minutes of playing time. Moller finished the contest with six points, three assists and three rebounds. Look for the Denmark native to glean a lot from the experience in Blacksburg, Va.
- The Flames will look to reduce their turnovers against Miami after committing 21 miscues at Virginia Tech. Prior to Wednesday's contest, the last time Liberty had committed more than 20 turnovers in a game was against Western Carolina on Dec. 31, 2012. Liberty won the contest, 63-62.
Notes and Anecdotes
- Liberty opened the 2003-04 season by playing host to Miami in its first-ever meeting with the RedHawks on Nov. 21, 2003. Juby Johnson led Miami in the 71-55 victory with 22 points, followed by Danny Horace, who had 16 tallies and 10 boards. Gabe Martin paced the Flames with 19 points.
- The Flames are hoping for a much better showing inside Millett Hall than they had during their last trip to Oxford nearly 10 years ago (Dec. 21, 2004). The rim was unkind to Liberty in the first half, as the Flames went 3-for-28 (10.7 percent) from the field. Miami went on to win the contest, 88-54.
- During John Cooper's first season as head coach at Tennessee State, the Tigers took on Dale Layer and the Flames in the Chicago Invitational (Nov. 28, 2009). Liberty defeated Tennessee State, 63-60, inside UIC Pavilion. Kyle Ohman led Liberty with 23 points.
- Liberty is playing in the state of Ohio for the first time since its trip to the NCAA First Four in Dayton. The Flames were edged in the contest by North Carolina A&T, 73-72 (March 9, 2013).
- Saturday's matchup marks Liberty's first meeting with a current member of the MAC since Dec. 30, 2009, when the Flames squared off with Buffalo in the UCF Holiday Classic Orlando, Fla. The Bulls took the contest, 81-64.