Flames NewsFlames Home > Football Home > News
Game Day Central: No. 2/1 Coastal Carolina
The Flames head to Conway, S.C., this weekend to face the No. 1 team in the country in Big South rival Coastal Carolina with a trip to the NCAA FCS Playoffs going to the winner.
Game Day Central Page
All the links you need to follow Saturday's Game
• Live video (ESPN3)
• Live audio (LFSN Radio)
• Brooks Stadium information & directions
• Game Day tickets
• And more
Liberty Football Game Notes:
No. 2/1 Coastal Carolina vs. Liberty
ESPN3 (Big South Conference TV production)
Play-By-Play Broadcaster: Mike Hogewood
Color Commentator: Renaldo Wynn
Liberty Flames Sports Network – Radio
LFSN Radio Network Affiliates List
• Pregame: 11:30 a.m.
Play-By-Play Broadcaster: Alan York
Color Commentator: Paul Rutigliano
Sidelines: Kevin Keys
Pregame: Alan York and Matt Camire
First and 10 – Saturday's Top Storylines
1. Liberty and No. 2/1 Coastal Carolina will square off Saturday afternoon in Conway, S.C., in what amounts to the Big South championship game. The winner will claim the conference's automatic berth into the NCAA FCS playoffs. For the Flames, it would be their first-ever playoff berth.
2. Saturday's game will mark Liberty's first-ever matchup with the No. 1 team in FCS football. See page 3 of the game notes about the Flames' history against highly ranked opponents.
3. Liberty will attempt to win on Coastal Carolina's home field for just the second time. See page 3 of the game notes for more information on that Flames victory in 2008, as well as other matchup notes.
4. The Flames are 3-0 all-time in games played on Nov. 22, with two of the victories coming against nationally ranked opponents. See page 4 of the game notes for Liberty's results on this date in program history.
5. After picking off three passes against Charleston Southern, senior S Jacob Hagen needs one more to set the Big South single-season record of nine interceptions. See page 4 of the game notes for other milestones in reach.
6. Liberty will aim to get off to a fast start and score on its opening drive for the sixth straight game. See page 5 of the game notes for other team notes and trends entering Saturday's game.
7. WR Darrin Peterson now owns the Liberty single-season receiving record at 1,101 yards. Read more about his impressive junior season on page 6 of the game notes.
8. K John Lunsford nailed his third 50+-yard field goal of the season during the Charleston Southern game. See page 7 of the game notes for more notes on the Flames' defensive and special teams players.
9. Freshman QB Stephon Masha set all new career highs against Charleston Southern while filling in for Josh Woodrum. See page 8 of the game notes for the Flames' up-to-date career highs.
10. Liberty will look to even its all-time record against Coastal Carolina at 6-6. See page 20 of the game notes for the game-by-game results for all previous Flames-Chanticleers matchups.
"4 Downs" with the Chanticleers
1 - Coastal Carolina is ranked No. 1 nationally in the FCS Coaches Poll for the first time in program and Big South Conference football history. Liberty has never faced the No. 1 team in FCS football before. Additionally, a victory on Saturday would enable Liberty to make its first-ever FCS playoff appearance, thanks to the Big South Conference's automatic bid.
2 - Two Coastal Carolina assistant coaches have ties to Liberty Head Coach Turner Gill. Curt Baldus was an assistant on Gill's staff at Buffalo in 2007. Ryan Goodman was a freshman quarterback at Nebraska in 2004, which was Gill's final season on the Huskers' coaching staff.
3 - The road team is just 3-8 in 11 all-time meetings between Liberty and Coastal Carolina. The Flames' lone victory in Conway was a 43-38 triumph on Oct. 4, 2008. Current New York Giants running back Rashad Jennings led the way with 35 carries for 195 yards and three total touchdowns (one rushing, two receiving).
4 - Liberty's Josh Woodrum and Coastal Carolina's Alex Ross are tied for fourth place on the Big South's all-time list with 49 career passing touchdowns apiece. Woodrum has thrown for four touchdowns in his career against the Chanticleers, while Ross has recorded four passing scores versus the Flames.
1 - Jacob Hagen needs one interception to set the Big South single-season record with nine picks. That would be the most interceptions in a single season by a Flame since 1979.
1 - Josh Woodrum needs one TD pass to become the third quarterback in program history and the fourth in Big South annals with 50 career TD passes.
1 - With 16 career quarterback sacks, Chima Uzowihe needs one more sack to tie Coastal Carolina's Adrain Grady (2003-07) for second place in Big South history. Uzowihe's next sack will also tie him with Liberty's Aaron DeBerry (2002) for second place on the Big South single-season list with eight sacks.
10/14 - Darrin Peterson needs 10 receptions to break the Liberty single-season record of 81 catches, established by Pat Nelson in 1991. Peterson is also 14 receiving yards shy of 2,000 for his career.
142 - With 142 rushing yards, D.J. Abnar would pass Marshall Clark (1982; 1,185 yards) for fifth place on the Flames' all-time single-season list.
A Liberty Win Would ...
• Clinch the Flames' first-ever FCS playoff berth.
• Give the Flames their third straight Big South title and their seventh in the last eight seasons.
• Mark the first time a Liberty athletics team has ever defeated the nation's No. 1-ranked squad in any sport at the CAA Division I level.
• Give the Flames their second win against an undefeated opponent this season, as Bryant was 3-0 entering the Sept. 20 matchup.
• Even up the Flames' all-time record against Coastal Carolina at 6-6.
• Be Liberty's second victory in six visits to Conway.
• Mark the Flames' third consecutive road victory this season.
• Boost the Flames' record to 17-4 in their last 21 Big South road games.
• Improve the Flames' November record under Turner Gill to 10-1.
• Give the Flames their 10th season with eight or more wins all-time, including their sixth in the last eight years.