Flames NewsFlames Home > Men's Soccer Home > News
Liberty to Face Presbyterian in Final Regular Season Road Contest
The Liberty men's soccer team will travel to Clinton, S.C., for a Big South Conference match against the Presbyterian Blue Hose, Saturday. The contest will be the last regular season road match for the Flames.
Liberty (8-5-1, 3-3) enters the match having won three straight conference matches and three of their last four contest overall. Meanwhile, Presbyterian (1-12, 0-7) will be looking for its first conference win of the season.
How to Follow the Flames
Live stats will be provided by the Presbyterian Media Relations Office for the contest and will be available by clicking the appropriate link on the men's soccer schedule/results panel of LibertyFlames.com.
A Look at Liberty
The Flames (8-5-1, 3-3) enter Saturday's contest having won three straight Big South matches. Liberty closed out the non-conference portion of its schedule at N.C. State, Tuesday night. The Flames dropped a 4-1 decision, snapping a three-game winning streak.
Junior Sachem Wilson leads the Flames with six goals and 12 points. Midfielder Tim Harbison is second with three goals, while Jovanni Chavez, Jamie Foxwell, Bay Kurtz, Khalil Karl and Blessing Tahuona have scored two goals apiece.
With defender Oluwatomiwa Kosoko netting his first collegiate goal at N.C. State on Tuesday, the Flames have now had 11 different players score a goal this season. Conner Fleming and Bay Kurtz lead Liberty with three assists each.
Goalkeeper Scott Sutarik has posted 1.06 goals-against average and .741 save percentage in 2014 in 13 games this season. On Tuesday, Sutarik was named the Big South Defensive Player of the Week for the second time this season. The senior recorded a shutout in a 1-0 Liberty win at Longwood and allowed one goal in a 3-1 win over UNC Asheville last Saturday in his last two outings.
Liberty alumnus Jeff Alder is in his 14th season at the helm of the Flames. Liberty has posted a 135-97-23 mark during his tenure.
A Look at Presbyterian
Presbyterian (1-13, 0-7) will be looking for its first Big South Conference win of the year, Saturday night. The Blue Hose fell to conference foe Gardner-Webb, 5-2, Wednesday evening.
Matthew McManis leads Presbyterian with two goals, while Johnny Archer has seen the bulk of the time in net for the Blue Hose this season.
Head coach Bret Boulware is in his 15th year at Presbyterian College, leading the Blue Hose program through its transition from Division II to the Division I level. The Presbyterian College alum has led his alma mater to an 87-149-19 record.
Sutarik Named Big South Defensive Player of the Week
Liberty goalkeeper Scott Sutarik was named the Big South Men's Soccer Defensive Player of the Week for games played Oct. 20-26.
The senior goalkeeper started the week off with a 1-0 win at Longwood, last Wednesday. He made three saves and recorded his fourth shutout of the season.
Sutarik followed that effort by leading a strong defensive effort by the Flames in a 3-1 win over UNC Asheville, this past Saturday.
The honor is his second Big South Defensive Player of the Week plaudit this season and the third of his career.
- Liberty enters the weekend in fifth place in the Big South with a 3-3 record and nine points. With three conference games remaining, the Flames are still in the hunt for one of the four top seeds for the Big South Men's Soccer Championship, which begins on Nov. 11. The top four seeds each host a quarterfinal match that day.
- Liberty is 5-3-1 away from Lynchburg, this season. Liberty is 3-3-1 in away games and 2-0 in neutral site contests. In Big South play, the Flames are 2-2.
- The Flames have outscored their opponents, 15-12, away from Lynchburg.
- Liberty finished the regular season with a 5-2-1 record in non-conference contests.
- Forward Sachem Wilson is fifth in the Big South with six goals. Last season, Wilson led the Flames with 10 goals.
- Last Wednesday at Longwood, Sutarik moved into third place on Liberty's all-time shutout list with 20 career clean sheets, making three saves in a 1-0 win over the Lancers. He is
currently third on Liberty's career shutout list and is one shy of tying George Nimo (1987-90) for second.
- Sutarik tied for second in the Big South with a 1.06 goals-against average
- This past Saturday, Sutarik and David Maharaj were recognized on Senior Day at Osborn Stadium.
- Midfielder Tim Harbison made his 50th consecutive start, last Wednesday at Longwood. The junior team captain has started every match during his Liberty career.
A Look Ahead
Liberty finishes its regular season schedule with two Big South Conference home matches next week. The Flames will host the Campbell Camels at Osborne Stadium, Wednesday. Match time is scheduled for 5 p.m.
Liberty will then host the High Point Panthers, Saturday. Match time at Osborne Stadium is scheduled for 1 p.m.