Flames NewsFlames Home > Men's Soccer Home > News
Liberty to Travels to N.C. State, Tuesday
The Liberty men's soccer team will square off in a non-conference contest for the final time during the regular season, Tuesday. The Flames (8-4-1, 3-3 Big South) will travel to Raleigh, N.C., for a match against the N.C. State Wolfpack (6-5-4, 1-3-3 ACC). Match time at Dail Stadium is scheduled for 7 p.m.
Liberty enters the match off back-to-back wins over Big South opponents, Longwood and UNC Asheville, last week. The Flames defeated UNC Asheville in their latest outing, 3-1, Saturday.
Meanwhile, N.C. State comes off a 0-0 draw with No. 5 Syracuse at Dail Stadium, Saturday.
How to Follow the Flames
Live video of Tuesday's match will be available through GoPack All-Access. In addition, live stats will be provided by the N.C. State Media Relations Office for the contest and will be available by clicking the appropriate link on the men's soccer schedule/results panel of LibertyFlames.com.
A Look at Liberty
Liberty (8-4-1, 3-3) defeated the UNC Asheville Bulldogs at Osborne Stadium, Saturday afternoon in its latest outing. The victory was the second straight win for the Flames.
The Flames enter the week having outscored their opponents, 24-14. With Tahuona scoring his second goal of the season on Saturday, seven different Flames have now netted two or more goals each in 2014.
Wilson leads the Flames with six goals and 12 points. Midfielder Tim Harbison is second with three goals, while Jovanni Chavez, Jamie Foxwell, Bay Kurtz, Khalil Karl and Blessing Tahuona have scored two goals apiece.
On Saturday, defender Conner Fleming joined Kurtz for the Liberty lead with three assists each. Fleming assisted on Liberty first goal of the contest by Tahuona.
Goalkeeper Scott Sutarik has posted 1.06 goals-against average and .741 save percentage in 2014. He has played every minute in goal for the Flames this season.
Last Wednesday at Longwood, Sutarik moved into third place on Liberty's all-time shutout list with 20 career clean sheets, making three saves in a 1-0 win over the Lancers.
Liberty alumnus Jeff Alder is in his 14th season at the helm of the Flames. Liberty has posted a 135-96-23 mark during his tenure.
A Look at N.C. State
The N.C. State Wolfpack (6-5-4, 1-3-3 ACC) enters Tuesday night's contest with a 5-2-1 record in non-conference contests. In their last match, the Wolfpack played No. 5 Syracuse to a draw in an ACC match at home, Saturday.
N.C. State has outscored its opponents, 22-17 on the season. Nick Surkamp and Zach Knudson each lead the Wolfpack with four goals apiece.
Goalkeeper Alex McCauley has posted a 1.06 goals-against average and recorded six shutouts. Three of those shutouts have come in draws.
Wolfpack Head Coach Kelly Findley is in his fourth year at N.C. State. The Wolfpack has posted a 31-31-10 record during his tenure.
- Liberty is 5-2-1 away from Lynchburg, this season. Liberty is 3-2-1 in away games and 2-0 in neutral site contests.
- The Flames have outscored its opponents, 14-8, away from Lynchburg.
- This past Saturday's contest was Liberty's fifth home game of 2015. The Flames are 3-2 at Osborne Stadium this season.
- Liberty has outscored its opponents, 10-6, at home this year.
- The Flames are 5-1-1 in non-conference contests this season.
- Forward Sachem Wilson is fourth in the Big South with six goals. Last season, Wilson led the Flames with 10 goals.
- Goalkeeper Scott Sutarik is currently third on Liberty's career shutout list with 20 and is one away from tying George Nimo (1987-90) for second.
- On Saturday, Sutarik and David Maharaj were recognized on Senior Day at Osborn Stadium.
- Midfielder Tim Harbison made his 50th consecutive start, last Wednesday at Longwood. The junior team captain has started every match during his Liberty career.
A Look Ahead
Liberty will return to Big South Conference play on Saturday. The Flames will travel to Clinton, S.C., for a match against the Presbyterian College Blue Hose. Match time is scheduled for 7 p.m.