Flames Home > News

Gillmore Nets 2 Goals; Van Noord Breaks Record in Shutout Win

October 11, 2014
|  High Point, N.C.
|   RSS
|   Share
|   Box Score

A pair of goals by Liberty women's soccer freshman forward Baylee Gillmore propelled the Lady Flames past High Point, 2-0, Saturday afternoon at Vert Stadium. With the shutout victory, goalkeeper Holly Van Noord cemented her 21st career shutout, securing the program record previously held by Karen Blocker (2008-12).

Liberty, currently sitting in first place in the conference standings, moves to 9-3-1 overall and 5-0-1 in the Big South, extending its unbeaten streak to eight games. High Point falls to 5-4-3 and 2-2-1 in conference action.

The Lady Flames' conference record through the first six games marks its best start in Big South play since the 2009 season, when it began the conference slate with an identical record.

Brittany Aanderud chipped in an assist on Gillmore's first goal of the contest to garner her 22nd career helper, adding to her current program record.

Along with her shutout, Van Noord collected three saves on the day. High Point goalkeeper Alex Persiani played the opening 45 minutes in the net for the Panthers, making one save. Jordan Beets, who entered the contest leading the league in goals-against average, played in between the pipes during the second half.

The Lady Flames outshot the Panthers, 9-6. High Point held a 3-2 advantage on corner kicks.

Junior midfielder Madison Kauzlarich tried to put Liberty on the board early with a shot on goal in the fourth minute. Persiani was there to make the play, keeping the contest scoreless.

Shots were at a premium in the opening period, with Liberty holding a slight 4-3 edge. Van Noord thwarted two shots late in the period by Meghan Beidleman and Aley Kate McKinley to maintain the 0-0 stalemate at halftime.

Gillmore helped the Lady Flames turn up the intensity in the second half, notching her first collegiate goal in the 52nd minute. After a pass from Aanderud, Gillmore tapped in an angled shot from the right side to put Liberty ahead, 1-0.

The freshman was not done for the day, adding another marker nearly 10 minutes later. Following a failed clear attempt by the High Point defense, Gillmore pounced on a loose ball and fired a shot into the net, sealing the 2-0 victory.

Liberty will receive a week-long break from on-field action before traveling to Gardner-Webb, next Saturday. Match time is slated for 4 p.m.