Flames NewsFlames Home > Football Home > News
Game Day Central: Brevard
Game Day Central Page
All the links you need to follow Saturday's Game
• Live video (LFSN TV/BSN/ESPN3)
• Live audio (LFSN Radio)
• Williams Stadium information & directions
• Game Day tickets
• And more
Liberty Football Game Notes:
Liberty vs. Brevard
Liberty Flames Sports Network – TV
• Liberty Channel (Lynchburg market)
• WSET 13.2 Digital/RTV (Lynchburg market)
• ESPN3 (National market)
• KTV (National market – Dish Network Channel 264)
• See complete Game Day Broadcast Distribution list
Play-By-Play Broadcaster: Mike Tilley
Color Commentator: Matt Warner
Lyndsay Keith and Chierstin Susel
Erin Hagen, Rett McGibbon, Paul Rutigliano and Clement Townsend
Liberty Flames Sports Network – Radio
LFSN Radio Network Affiliates List
• Pregame: 5:30 p.m.
Play-By-Play Broadcaster: Alan York
Color Commentator: Paul Rutigliano
Sidelines: Nick Pierce
Pregame: Nick Pierce, Jamie Hall and Matt Camire
First and 10 – Saturday's Top Storylines
1. Saturday night's matchup against Brevard will mark Turner Gill's 100th game as a collegiate head coach. See page 2 of game notes for more information on Gill.
2. Liberty will kick off its 2014 home schedule against Brevard after closing its 2013 home slate against the Tornados. This is the first time the Flames have ever faced the same team in back-to-back home games. See page 3 of game notes for more information on the Liberty-Brevard matchup.
3. The Flames have gone 10-1 in their last 11 home openers. For more information on Liberty's all-time history in home openers, see page 3 of game notes.
4. Liberty junior quarterback Josh Woodrum is 56 passing yards shy of 5,000 for his career entering Saturday's game. See page 4 of game notes for more milestones within reach this week.
5. The last time Liberty played on Sept. 13, the 2008 Flames posted a 19-16 road win over Western Carolina, who was coached by current Liberty assistant head coach Dennis Wagner. See page 4 of game notes for more.
6. Liberty's defensive line was named Big South Defensive Player of the Week on Monday. For more notes about the defense's impressive shutout performance at Norfolk State, see page 5 of game notes.
7. Senior linebacker Dylan Lewellyn was one of numerous Flames to set career highs at Norfolk State, racking up a career-best and team-high 11 tackles. See page 8 of game notes for updated player career highs.
8. Liberty ranks No. 3 nationally with four interceptions after finishing No. 5 in the nation a year ago. See page 10 of game notes for all of the Flames' NCAA national statistical rankings.
9. Liberty has stayed healthy through the early part of the 2014 season and only made two changes to the starting lineup from week one to week two, neither of which was injury related. See page 11 of game notes for an updated team depth chart and page 12 for the Flames' start charts.
10. Check out page 20 of game notes to see how three former Flames fared during the NFL's opening weekend.
"4 Downs" with the Tornados
1 - Liberty is 1-0 all-time against Brevard, thanks to a 59-21 victory at Williams Stadium on Nov. 16, 2013. Also, the Tornados have recorded one winning season (7-4 in 2009) since reinstating football in 2006.
2 - Saturday will mark Liberty's second consecutive home game against Brevard, after the Flames hosted the Tornados in the 2013 home finale at Williams Stadium. This is the first time Liberty has ever faced the same team in back-to-back home games.
3 - Brevard head coach Paul Hamilton has faced Liberty as the head coach of three different teams (East Tennessee State, Elon and Brevard) and is 3-2 all-time against the Flames.
4 - Saturday's game against Liberty will mark Brevard's fourth matchup with an FCS opponent in the Tornados' last 13 games. The NCAA Division II institution is opening the 2014 season against Western Carolina and Liberty after facing Presbyterian and Liberty in 2013.
1 - Nick Sigmon is one tackle for a loss shy of 30 for his career. The senior linebacker is also nearing Liberty's career top five in the category. Rodney Degrate (1994-96) currently ranks fifth in program history with 34 tackles for a loss.
1 - Jacob Hagen needs one interception to enter the Flames' career top five list. With eight career picks, Hagen is close on the heels of former teammate Kevin Fogg (2009-13), who finished his career in fifth place at Liberty with nine picks.
56 - Josh Woodrum needs 56 passing yards to reach 5,000 for his career. He would become the seventh Liberty quarterback ever to throw for 5,000 career yards.
100 - Saturday's contest will mark Turner Gill's 100th game as a collegiate head coach. Liberty is also nearing its 100th win at Williams Stadium, as the Flames are 95-44 all-time at the facility.
A Liberty Win Would ...
• Give the Flames a 2-1 record to start the season for the fourth time in six years (also 2009, 2010 & 2013). That marks Liberty's best start to a season since the 2008 Flames opened the year at 6-0.
• Be Liberty's seventh victory in its last eight games dating back to last season.
• Improve Liberty's all-time record against Brevard to 2-0.
• Mark the Flames' second straight victory in a home opener and 11th win in their last 12 home lid-lifters.
• Boost Liberty's all-time record in home openers to 27-14-1.
• Extend the Flames' home winning streak to four games, including back-to-back victories over Brevard.
• Mark Liberty's sixth straight home win against a non-conference opponent and improve the Flames' record to 6-2 in non-conference home tilts under head coach Turner Gill.
• Hand Brevard its third consecutive loss, all of which have come at the hands of FCS opponents (two to Liberty and one to Western Carolina).