Flames NewsFlames Home > Football Home > News
Game Day Central: Norfolk State
Game Day Central Page
All the links you need to follow Saturday's Game
• Live video (LFSN TV/ESPN3)
• Live audio (LFSN Radio)
• William "Dick" Price Stadium information & directions
• Game Day tickets
• And more
Liberty Football Game Notes:
Liberty vs. Norfolk State
Liberty Flames Sports Network – TV
• Liberty Channel (Lynchburg market)
• WSET 13.2 Digital/RTV (Lynchburg market)
• ESPN3 (National market)
• KTV (National market – Dish Network Channel 264)
• See complete Game Day Broadcast Distribution list
Play-By-Play Broadcaster: Mike Tilley
Color Commentator: Matt Warner
Lyndsay Keith and Chierstin Susel
Erin Hagen, Rett McGibbon, Paul Rutigliano and Clement Townsend
Liberty Flames Sports Network – Radio
LFSN Radio Network Affiliates List
• Pregame: 2:30 p.m.
Play-By-Play Broadcaster: Alan York
Color Commentator: Paul Rutigliano
Sidelines: Kevin Keys
Pregame: Alan York and Matt Camire
First and 10 – Saturday's Top Storylines
1. Liberty and Norfolk State will both look to bounce back from season-opening losses on the road against nationally ranked opponents.
2. Liberty will seek to avenge a 31-24 home setback against Norfolk State on Sept. 8, 2012 in Turner Gill's first home game as the Flames' head coach. See page 2 of game notes for more on Gill and page 3 for more on that meeting between the Flames and Spartans.
3. The Flames are 3-2 all-time against Norfolk State, but Liberty has not defeated the Spartans since Nov. 8, 2003. See page 3 of game notes for more on the series history.
4. Todd Macon was named Big South Freshman of the Week after opening his career with 67 rushing yards and two touchdowns at North Carolina. See page 4 of game notes for more on the Big South Conference.
5. After totaling 96 receiving yards against North Carolina, junior WR Darrin Peterson enters Saturday's game just 19 yards shy of 1,000 for his career. See page 4 of game notes for other milestones to watch for.
6. A Liberty win on Saturday would be its first victory over an in-state non-conference Division I opponent since a 69-21 home win over Norfolk State on Nov. 8, 2003. See page 5 of game notes for more on what a Liberty victory over the Spartans would mean.
7. This is the first season since 2003 that Liberty has opened the year with back-to-back road games. See page 6 of game notes for more team trends and streaks.
8. After rushing for a program-record 36 touchdowns and picking off 19 passes in 2013, Liberty recorded three of each at North Carolina. See page 6 of game notes for more team notes.
9. Dominique Davis' team-high nine tackles at North Carolina shattered the defensive lineman's previous career high of two. See page 8 of game notes for updated player career highs.
10. Liberty ranks No. 2 nationally with three interceptions, as seen on page 10 of game notes.
"4 Downs" with the Spartans
1 - Liberty's most recent win over Norfolk State, a 69-21 victory on Nov. 8, 2003, was a record-setting day at Williams Stadium. The Flames set program single-game records for rushing yards (459) and rushing touchdowns (8) which still stand.
2 - Norfolk State is the first of two Commonwealth opponents on Liberty's 2014 schedule (also Richmond on Oct. 4). The Flames are seeking their first triumph over an in-state non-conference Division I opponent since a 69-21 win over Norfolk State on Nov. 8, 2003.
3 - Liberty won its first three all-time meetings with Norfolk State, but the Spartans have responded with back-to-back victories over the Flames.
4 - Liberty was the fourth visiting team ever to win at Norfolk State's William "Dick" Price Stadium. The Flames were victorious by a 17-6 count on Nov. 8, 1997, wrapping up the Spartans' inaugural home schedule at the 30,000-seat facility. The Flames are 1-1 all-time at William "Dick" Price Stadium.
1 - Nick Sigmon is one tackle for a loss shy of 30 for his career. The senior linebacker is also nearing Liberty's career top five in the category. Rodney Degrate (1994-96) currently ranks fifth in program history with 34 tackles for a loss.
1 - Chima Uzowihe needs one sack to reach 10 for his career.
2 - Jacob Hagen needs two interceptions to enter the Flames' career top five list. With seven career picks, Hagen is chasing former teammate Kevin Fogg (2009-13), who finished his career in fifth place at Liberty with nine interceptions.
19 - Darrin Peterson is 19 receiving yards shy of 1,000 for his career.
264 - Josh Woodrum needs 264 passing yards to reach 5,000 for his career. He would become the seventh Liberty quarterback ever to throw for 5,000 career yards.
A Liberty Win Would ...
• Give the Flames a 1-1 record to start the season for the fourth time in six years (also 2009, 2011 & 2013).
• Improve Liberty's all-time record against Norfolk State to 4-2.
• Mark the Flames' first victory over Norfolk State since a 69-21 home win on Nov. 8, 2003. The Spartans have won each of their last two meetings with the Flames.
• Give Liberty a win over a MEAC opponent for the second consecutive season. The Flames posted a 38-10 home victory over Morgan State on Sept. 14, 2013.
• Improve the Flames to 25-12 all-time against MEAC opposition.
• Be the Flames' first win over an in-state non-conference Division I opponent since their 69-21 home triumph over Norfolk State on Nov. 8, 2003.
• Serve as Liberty's first road triumph over an in-state non-conference Division I foe since a 17-6 road win at Norfolk State on Nov. 8, 1997.
• Mark the Flames' third win in their last four road contests, dating back to the 2013 season and extend Norfolk State's home losing streak to five games.