Flames NewsFlames Home > Baseball Home > News
No. 21 Liberty Closes Out Regular Season at Radford
NO. 21 LIBERTY AT RADFORD
RU Baseball Stadium
Saturday Victory Radio Network
Live Stats (Provided by Radford): Live Stats
• Liberty enters the weekend with a 38-12 overall record and a 22-1 mark in Big South play.
• Due to forecasted inclement weather on Thursday, the opener of the Liberty-Radford series has been moved to Friday and willl be part of a doubleheader.
• Liberty clinched its third Big South regular season title and the No. 1 seed for the upcoming Big South Baseball Championship in Rock Hill, S.C., May 20-24, with a 7-1 win over Coastal Carolina, last Friday night.
• The Flames have set a new program record for Big South wins in a season with 22.
• The Flames are ranked in each of the major polls this week. Liberty's highest ranking is No. 21 by Baseball America.
• The Flames have posted an 16-7 record away from home this season. Liberty is 13-5 in away contests and 3-2 in neutral site games.
• Liberty swept a three-game series against Coastal Carolina, last weekend. With the sweep, the Flames have won 20 straight Big South Conference games, a program record.
• OF Ashton Perritt went 4-for-4 with three RBIs and a home run vs. Elon, Tuesday. Perritt's hits and RBIs were both career highs for the OF in a game.
• As a pitcher, Perritt recorded his career-high 11th save of the season in win over UNC
Asheville, 4/26. Perritt's save total is the second most in a season in program history.
• 2B Ryan Seiz leads the Big South with a .430 batting average in conference games and is third in the conference in batting average in all games.
• Seiz leads the Big South in home runs, runs scored, total bases and slugging percentage.
• The 2B is also sixth in the conference in RBIs and also among the top 10 in doubles and on base percentage.
• On Tuesday, Seiz was named to the Gregg Olson Award Watch List.
• Seiz and SS Dalton Britt are the only two Flames to start every Liberty game this season.
• 1B Alex Close drove in two runs with two hits in 4-3 win over Coastal Carolina, last Saturday. He leads the Flames with a .415 batting average with runners in scoring position.
• Close ranks fifth in the Big South in RBIs, sixth in home runs and is ninth in the slugging percentage.
• C Danny Grauer had a two-run double to tie the game and then scored the go-ahead run in Liberty's 4-3 win over Coastal Carolina, this past Saturday.
• Grauer leads the conference with 26 RBIs in Big South games only. He is tied for fourth in home runs, is sixth in slugging percentage and is seventh in RBIs among Big South hitters.
• OF Nick Lacik collected his second four-hit contest of the season in 7-1 win over Coastal Carolina, last Friday. The OF also scored two runs.
• RHP Matt Marsh recorded back-to-back saves in 4-3 and 2-1 wins over Coastal Carolina, this past Saturday and Sunday. He also pitched two scoreless innings against Elon, Tuesday. • Marsh has not allowed a run since Feb. 18. During the span, RHP has made 14
appearances, pitching 26 scoreless innings. He enters the weekend with a 0.66 ERA.
• LHP Shawn Clowers ran his record to 7-0 on the season with three wins over five games, 4/22-4/27. He recorded the victory at Clemson on 4/22 and picked-up back-to-back victories against UNC Asheville, 4/26 and 4/27. The LHP is tied for fourth in the Big South in wins.
• Clowers has made a career-high 17 appearances and has posted a 1.12 ERA.
• On Tuesday, Clowers was named to the Gregg Olson Award Watch List.
• RHP Trey Lambert has been named to the National Pitcher of the Year Watch List.
Lambert leads the Big South Conference in wins with a 10-1 record. His win total ranks
• Lambert ranks sixth in ERA (1.92) and sixth in innings pitched (87.0) in the conference.
• RHP Parker Bean is tied for fourth in the Big South Conference in wins with a 7-1 record.
He has the eighth best ERA (2.37) and is tied for fourth in the conference in strikeouts.
Recognizing the Seniors
• Seniors Danny Grauer, Brett Fulghum, Trey Lambert, Nick Lacik and Matt Marsh will be playing in their final regular season games in a Liberty uniform, this weekend.
• The five seniors were recognized last Saturday by the Liberty program.
Liberty Clinches Big South Regular Season Title
• With a 7-1 win over Coastal Carolina last Friday, Liberty captured the 2014 Big South regular season title and clinched the No. 1 seed for the upcoming Big South Baseball Championship in Rock Hill, S.C., this upcoming Tuesday - Saturday.
• It is the third Big South regular season title in program history and Liberty's first since 2000.
• Liberty also won the conference's regular season title in 1998 and 2000.
• In addition, the Flames have won a program record 22 Big South games this season. The mark eclipses the 19 Big South wins by the 2010 Flames.
Flames Clubhouse Report
• Join the Liberty Flames Sports Network's Nick Pierce each week for a look at Flames Baseball.
• The audio show is available at LibertyFlames.com each week throughout the season.
• Pierce, who brings you all the action of Liberty Flames baseball, takes a look back at the previous week, along with comments from Liberty head coach Jim Toman and key Flames.