Flames NewsFlames Home > Baseball Home > News
Flames to Host Richmond for Midweek Tilt, Tuesday
RICHMOND AT LIBERTY
April 8 - 6 p.m.
Liberty Baseball Stadium
Video Stream: Big South Network
• Liberty enters the week with a 25-8 overall record. The Flames swept a three-game Big South Conference series from VMI, this past weekend.
• The Flames sit atop the conference's North Division standings with an 11-1 record. The mark ties Liberty's best 12-game start in program history.
• Liberty has won nine straight Big South Conference games. The Flames have shut out their opponent in each of their last six Big South games and has not allowed a run over the last 60 innings in conference play.
• The Flames have won 11 out of their last 12 games and posted a 22-3 mark over their last 25 contests.
• Liberty is 15-3 at home this season and has won seven-straight home contests.
• The Flames lead the Big South Conference in team batting with a .301 average and in team pitching with a 2.14 ERA.
• RHP Parker Bean was named Big South Player of the Week and a Louisville Slugger National Player of the Week, Monday. The freshman right-hander came within two outs of a no-hitter, Sunday afternoon.
• Last Tuesday, Liberty hit three home runs, including the game-winner in the eighth inning by Ryan Seiz in a 4-3 win over Duke. The win moved the Flames' midweek record to 6-3.
• RHP Parker Bean has been named the Big South Pitcher of the Week and earned Louisville Slugger National Player of the Week honors, Monday.
• Bean came within two outs of a no-hitter in win over VMI, Sunday. The freshman right-hander struck out a career-high 16 batters and allowed only one batter to reach second base over 81/3 scoreless innings.
• Bean is tied with teammate Carson Herndon for second in the Big South Conference with five wins. Fellow Liberty RHP Trey Lambert leads the conference with seven wins.
• Lambert ran his record to 7-1, Friday in 5-0 win over VMI. It was his second-straight shutout for senior.
• The week before, Lambert pitched a one-hit complete-game shutout at Presbyterian College, earning Big South Pitcher of the Week honors fro March 24-20.
• Lambert not only leads the conference in wins, but ranks fifth in ERA (1.92) and innings pitched (56.1) and is seventh in opponent batting average (.206)
• 2B Ryan Seiz had three hits, driving in three runs in win over VMI, Sunday. Seiz leads the Flames with 16 multi-hit games.
• Seiz hit a solo home run with two out in the eighth to break a 3-3 tie, giving Liberty 4-3 win over Duke, last Tuesday. It was his seventh HR of the season.
• Seiz was named the Big South Player of the Week for March 24-30. It is the second time, he has received the honor this season.
• Seiz currently leads the Big South in RBIs, doubles, home runs, on base percentage and slugging percentage and total bases (81). He is second in batting average and runs scored.
• 1B Alex Close collected four hits and scored three times, Sunday against VMI.
• Close hit three home runs in three-straight games, last week. He hit a round tripper in back-to-back games at Presbyterian College, 3/29-30, and one in 4-3 win over Duke, last Tuesday. He is second on the Flames with five home runs and tied for third in the Big South.
• Close is second in the conference with 29 RBIs and third with a .549 slugging pct.
• RF Will Shepherd extending his hitting streak to 10 games on Sunday.
• Shepherd went 4-for-4 and scored twice in 5-0 win over VMI, Friday evening.
• RHP Matt Marsh picked up his first win of 2014, last Tuesday night against Duke. Marsh pitched 2 1/3 scoreless innings, allowing one hit. He struck out five and did not walk a batter.
• C Danny Grauer collected three hits, drove in three runs and scored three runs in win over VMI, Sunday.
• The C is tied for sixth in home runs (4) and is eighth in slugging percentage. (.487) in the Big South Conference.
• RHP Ashton Perritt is second in the Big South Conference with seven saves.
Bean Named Big South Pitcher of Week, Earns National Awards
• Pitcher Parker Bean was selected as the Big South Player of the Week and was recognized as one of the Louisville Slugger National Player of the Week by Collegiate Baseball Newspaper, Monday.
• Bean came within two outs of pitching a no-hitter, Sunday. He struck out a career-high 16 and allowed only one runner to reach second in the game.
• The lone hit by the Keydets came with one out in the ninth inning, as Bean retired 14 batters in a row during the game.
• It is the first time, the freshman has earned the conference plaudit.
Flames Clubhouse Report
• Join the Liberty Flames Sports Network's Nick Pierce each week for a look at Flames Baseball.
• The audio show is available at LibertyFlames.com each week throughout the season.
• Pierce, who brings you all the action of Liberty Flames baseball, takes a look back at the previous week, along with comments from Liberty head coach Jim Toman and key Flames.