Flames NewsFlames Home > Baseball Home > News
Liberty Heads to Presbyterian College for Big South Series
LIBERTY AT PRESBYTERIAN COLLEGE
PC Basebll Complex
Friday - 3 p.m.
Saturday - 2 p.m.
Sunday - 1 p.m.
Sunday 90.9 FM "The Light"
• Liberty enters the weekend, having won four in a row and 12 out of its last 13 games.
• In the month of March, Liberty has posted a 14-2 mark (.875). In addition, the Flames have recorded a 15-2 (.882) mark since Feb. 25.
• Liberty is 87-45 (.659) under head coach Jim Toman in the month of March.
• The Flames had their midweek game against Virginia Tech postponed this week due to
adverse weather conditions.
• Last weekend, Liberty swept the High Point Panthers at Liberty Baseball Stadium to run their Big South Conference record to 5-1.
• Liberty has won its last four road contests and is 7-4 on the road this season.
• Liberty leads the Big South Conference in team batting with a .295 average and in team
pitching with a 2.59 ERA.
• Liberty enters the week, hitting .301 with runners in scoring position.
• The Flames have hit .300 and are averaging 6.7 runs per game during the month of March.
• Liberty pitching has posted a 1.55 ERA and held its opponents to a .203 batting average
during March. Flames pitchers are holding opponents to 1.9 runs per game during the month.
• LHP Shawn Clowers was named the Big South Co-Pitcher of the Week for the week ending March 23. The reliever did not allow a run in 10 2/3 scoreless innings, recording two wins.
• This past Sunday, Clowers entered in the 5th inning with the bases loaded, one out and Liberty holding a 2-1 lead over High Point and struck out the next two batters to prevent any scoring. He went on to retire the first 12 batters he faced, including six strikeouts. He allowed just two hits in his outing to lead Liberty to the 4-1 win.
•, Clowers moved to 2-0 with a win at Old Dominion, 3/19. After taking over in the 10th inning, Clowers retired the first 14 batters he faced. He pitched six scoreless innings, allowing two hits. He also struck out a career-high eight batters.
• RHP Trey Lambert ran his record to 5-1, this past Friday. Lambert has won his last five starts and leads the Big South Conference with five wins.
• RHP Ashton Perritt recorded his team-leading seventh save of the season, Friday . He leads the Big South Conference in saves.
• LHP Jared Lyons shut out Old Dominion during the first nine innings, the longest outing of his career,3/19. The left-hander scattered four hits, striking out five batters and walking one.
• Lyons leads the Flames with 0.52 ERA and 32 strikeouts. Currently, he is second in the Big South Conference in ERA and leads the conference in opponent batting average (.149).
• LHP Blake Fulghum made three relief appearances this past week, pitching 3 2/3 scoreless innings. He begins the week 10th in the Big South in ERA (2.37).
• INF Ryan Seiz continues to lead the Flames in batting average (.415), runs (27), home runs (5), on base percentage (.513) and slugging percentage (.702). He is tied with teammate Alex Close for the team lead in RBIs (22).
• He is currently leads the Big South Conference in RBIs, hits and slugging percentage.
• 1B Alex Close enters the week tied for the Big South Conference lead with 21 RBIs.
• Close hit .406 with 14 RBIs during LU's season-high eight game win streak, 3/2-15.
• SS Dalton Britt has spent time at both shortstop and third base this season for the Flames.
• Britt had his career-high 10-game hit streak snapped this past Sunday.
• 3B Dylan Allen is hitting .421 with runners in scoring position to lead the Flames.
• C Danny Grauer had the longest hit streak by a Flame this season, snapped at 12, Sunday.
• This past Saturday,Grauer drove in three runs with an inside the park home run and two-run double in 8-1 win over High Point.
• OF Nick Lacik is third in the Big South Conference in walks (18) and runs scored (22).
Among the National Leaders
• Liberty entered the week among the top 20 NCAA Division I baseball teams in several categories based on the March 23 statistical report.
• The Flames are third in the nation with 57 doubles and 13th in hits with 265. Meanwhile, Liberty pitchers rank 10th in walks allowed per nine innings, 2.25, and 16th with a 1.09 WHIP
• 2B Ryan Seiz is fifth in total bases (66), 12th in hits (39) and slugging percentage. (.702) and 15th in runs scored (27). C Becker Sankey is 13th, after being hit by a pitch 10 times.
• Among pitchers, Ashton Perritt ranks fourth in the country with seven saves, while Jared Lyons ranks 8th in WHIP (0.67) and 12th in ERA (0.52). Trey Lambert is 8th in the nation with five wins.
Clowers Named Co-Big South Pitcher of the Week
• LHP Shawn Clowers was named Co-Big South Pitcher of the Week for the week ending March 23.
• He becomes the first Liberty pitcher to earn the award this season.
• Clowers pitched 10 2/3 scoreless innings, recording wins his two relief appearances, last week.
• The left-hander recorded his first win of the week in a 1-0, 16 inning win at Old
Dominion, last Wednesday. He entered the game in the 10th inning and retired the first 14 batters he faced. He gave up two hits over six scoreless innings in the longest outing of his career, striking out a career-best eight.
• Sunday, he entered the game in the fifth inning with the bases loaded, one out and Liberty holding a 2-1 lead over High Point and struck out the next two batters to strand the runners.
• Clowers went on to retire the first 12 batters he faced and did not give up a hit until the ninth. He allowed just two hits and struck out six in his outing to pick up the victory and lead Liberty to the 4-1 win.
Flames Clubhouse Report
• Join the Liberty Flames Sports Network's Nick Pierce each week for a look at Flames
• The audio show is available at LibertyFlames.com each week throughout the season.
• Pierce, who brings you all the action of Liberty Flames baseball, takes a look back at
the previous week, along with comments from Liberty head coach Jim Toman and key