Flames NewsFlames Home > News
Women's Tennis Edged at UTSA, 4-3
Liberty jumped out to a 2-0 lead, but UTSA rallied with four consecutive wins in singles play to knock off the Lady Flames, 4-3, on Tuesday afternoon at the UTSA Tennis Center.
Liberty drops its third consecutive match to fall to 7-5 overall, while the Roadrunners improve to 6-7 with the win.
"Hats off to UTSA," commented Liberty head coach Jeff Maren. "They played consistently and with great effort. Our effort was there, but we could not find a way to get it done. Our true test comes now that we've been knocked down, how will we bounce back?"
The Lady Flames jumped out to a 1-0 advantage after picking up doubles wins in the No. 2 and 3 positions. It was the first time this season that Liberty has lost a match after winning the doubles tally.
Belen Rivera and Brittany Yang improved to 5-1 this season with an 8-4 victory over UTSA's Daniela Garcia-Diaz and Alena Shickova at No. 2. The Roadrunners' Jacobea Junger and Miriam Rosell Canudas picked up a win in the No. 1 position, defeating Liberty's Rebekah Jenkins and Maria Khval, 8-6. The Lady Flames clinched the point when Cameron Richard and Valerie Thong outlasted Lina Hallgren and Isabelle Jonsson, 9-8 (5) in the No. 3 slot.
Liberty extended its advantage to 2-0 with a win in the No. 4 singles spot from Yang. The junior improved to a team-best 7-3 after downing Nicole Karaklis, 6-3, 6-4.
UTSA bounced back with wins in the No. 1, 6, 2 and 3 positions to steal the match. Junger ousted Jenkins, 6-3, 6-4, before Irene Gandara Gonzalez beat the Lady Flames' Nicola Wellman, 6-4, 6-2. Rosell Canudas followed with a 6-1, 6-4 defeat of Khval, pulling the Roadrunners within match point.
Liberty freshman Mariely Hassey pushed Jonsson to three sets, but UTSA's No. 3 player came away with a 6-0, 3-6, 6-2 victory, making the score 4-2 in favor of the home team.
Rivera closed the contest on a positive note for the Lady Flames, knocking off Hallgren, 6-4, 7-6 (10-8). The win improved Rivera's singles' record to 7-4 for the season.
Liberty looks to put a stop to its three-match losing streak on Friday with a neutral site contest against No. 69 New Mexico in Denton, Texas. Match time versus the Lobos is set for 1 p.m. (EDT).
UTSA 4, Liberty 3
1. Jacobea Junger/ Miriam Rosell Canudas (UTSA) def. Rebekah Jenkins/Maria Khval (LU), 8-6
2. Belen Rivera/Brittany Yang (LU) def. Daniela Garcia-Diaz/Alena Shichkova (UTSA), 8-4
3. Cameron Richard/Valerie Thong (LU) def. Lina Hallgren/Isabelle Jonsson (UTSA), 9-8 (7-5)
1. Jacobea Junger (UTSA) def. Rebekah Jenkins (LU), 6-3, 6-4
2. Miriam Rosell Canudas (UTSA) def. Maria Khval (LU), 6-1, 6-4
3. Isabelle Jonsson (UTSA) def. Mariely Hassey (LU), 6-0, 3-6, 6-2
4. Brittany Yang (LU) def. Nicole Karaklis (UTSA), 6-3, 6-4
5. Belen Rivera (LU) def. Lina Hallgren (UTSA), 6-4, 7-6 (10-8)
6. Irene Gandara Gonzalez (UTSA) def. Nicola Wellman (LU), 6-4, 6-2