Flames NewsFlames Home > News
Men's Tennis Clipped by Richmond, 5-2
The Liberty men's tennis team suffered its first home defeat of the season on Friday evening, falling to the Richmond Spiders, 5-2, inside the Sports Racket.
The loss drops the Flames to 4-5 for the year and 2-1 in home contests. Richmond improves to 4-7 on the season and 9-3 all-time versus Liberty.
In doubles play, Liberty notched a win at No. 2 when Dillon Segur and Egon Samaai posted a dominating, 8-3 victory over Alex Hahn and Canyon Teague. It was the duo's team-leading fourth win of the season.
Richmond battled back with wins in the No. 3 and No. 1 positions. Jonathan Quenard and Dylan Trent knocked off the Flames' Stan Vaughan and Alejandro Llamas, 8-5, at No. 3. In the No. 1 position, Jacob and Ethan Dunbar rallied from down 7-6 to knock off No. 59 Shea Thomas and Jorge Azuero, 8-7 (4), putting the Spiders ahead 1-0 heading into the singles matches.
Richmond collected four consecutive wins to open singles play. Jacob Dunbar defeated Samaai, 6-2, 6-2, at No. 2, before Hahn defeated Vaughan, 6-4, 6-4, in the No. 4 position. In the top spot, Ethan Dunbar ousted Thomas, 6-4, 6-4, to clinch the contest for the Spiders. Richmond's fifth point came courtesy of Teague in the No. 5 position, 7-5, 6-4, over Llamas.
Liberty closed the match strong, winning the final two singles tilts. At No. 3, Azuero downed Trent in three sets, 7-5, 4-6, 5-1, before Segur ended the contest with a 6-4, 7-5 defeat of Noah Fenton in the No. 6 position. Azuero improved to 4-4 with the win, while Segur upped his record to 3-1 on the season.
The Flames return to the court on Sunday with a challenging road test against defending national champion and No. 10 ranked Virginia. The match is scheduled to begin at 6 p.m.
Richmond 5, Liberty 2
1. Jacob Dunbar/Ethan Dunbar (RICH) def. No. 59 Shea Thomas/Jorge Azuero (LU), 8-7 (5)
2. Dillon Segur/Egon Samaai (LU) def. Alex Hahn/Canyon Teague (RICH), 8-3
3. Jonathan Quenard/Dylan Trent (RICH) def. Stan Vaughan/Alejandro Llamas (LU), 8-5
1. Ethan Dunbar (RICH) def. Shea Thomas (LU), 6-4, 6-4
2. Jacob Dunbar (RICH) def. Egon Samaai (LU), 6-2, 6-2
3. Jorge Azuero (LU) def. Dylan Trent (RICH), 7-5, 4-6, 5-1 (won on a code violation)
4. Alex Hahn (RICH) def. Stan Vaughan (LU), 6-4, 6-4
5. Canyon Teague (RICH) def. Alejandro Llamas (LU), 7-5, 6-4
6. Dillon Segur (LU) def. Noah Fenton (RICH), 6-4, 7-5