Flames NewsFlames Home > Baseball Home > News
Liberty to Host Old Dominion in Home Opener, Tuesday
OLD DOMINION AT LIBERTY
Feb. 18 - 3 p.m.
Liberty Baseball Stadium
Liberty Flames Sports Network Coverage
Video Streaming: Big South Network
Radio Broadcast: 90.9 "The Light FM"
Live Stats (StatsBroadcast): Tuesday
• Liberty and Old Dominion have met on the baseball diamond in 17 out of the past 19 years. 2006 and 2011 were the only seasons the two teams did not meet.
• Tuesday's contest is Liberty's home opener. The Flames posted a 25-9 mark in their first season at the Liberty Baseball Stadium in 2013.
• Liberty is 88-42 (.677) all-time in the month of February. The Flames are 32-13 (.711)
under head coach Jim Toman.
• The Flames claimed their fourth Big South title and the first under head coach Jim Toman in 2013. It was also Liberty's first since 2000.
• With a .619 winning percentage, head coach Jim Toman's Flames have posted the
highest NCAA Division I winning percentage of any head coach during his first six years at Liberty.
• Liberty went 1-2 this past weekend at the UNF Best Bet Tournament in Jacksonville, Fla. After dropping the first two games, Liberty took an 11-6 decision from Richmond on Sunday for its first victory of 2014.
• The Flames banged out 16 hits and had seven players with two hits in their win on Sunday.
LHP Jared Lyons recorded the victory with 31/3 innings of relief.
• RHP Ashton Perritt recorded his first save with two scoreless innings in the victory. Perritt is currently on the NCBWA Stopper of the Year Watch list.
• Liberty returns six starting position players including its designated hitter and 11 pitchers from last season's 2013 Big South Championship team. In addition, the Flames return 15
• The Flames have been picked to finish first in the Big South Conference's North Division in 2014.
• OF/P Ashton Perritt had four hits and stole a team-leading three bases this past weekend.
He also recorded his first save with two scoreless innings against Richmond on Sunday.
• DH/C Danny Grauer hit a two-run home run in his first at bat of 2014 against North Florida, 2/14. He led the Flames with seven home runs in 2013.
• INF Dalton Britt had at least one hit in all three of Liberty games this past weekend (.417) and collected two two-hit contests.
• 1B Ryan Seiz joined the Liberty roster after sitting out last year after transferring from Louisville. Seiz collected four hits this past weekend.
• Seiz belted his first home run as a Flame and scored three times in Liberty's win over
Richmond on Sunday.
• OF Nick Lacik had at least one hit in each of Liberty's three games this past weekend. Lacik hit . 417 and collected two two-hit games (USF, Saturday and Richmond, Sunday).
• LHP Blake Fulghum pitched 4 2/3 innings of scoreless relief in his first appearance of the season against USF, Saturday.
• LHP Jared Lyons made two appearances this past weekend. He recorded the win in
Liberty's win over Richmond on Sunday.
• Freshmen Tray Roberts and Will Shepherd each started in right field this past weekend. Roberts received the starting nod against North Florida and USF, while Shepherd started on Sunday.
• Shepherd collected two hits and a RBI, scoring two runs in his first collegiate start.
Liberty Baseball Stadium - the New Home of Flames Baseball
• The Flames posted a 25-9 mark in their first season at the Liberty Baseball Stadium in 2013.
• Liberty won its first Big South Baseball Championship since 2000 at its new facility. The
stadium served as the host site for the conference tournament.
• After 34 years of playing at Worthington Stadium, the Flames christened the new facility, with a three-game sweep of Penn State, Feb. 23-24, and went on to win their first seven games at the stadium.
Perritt Named to Preseason All-American Teams, Stopper Watch List
• Outfielder/pitcher Ashton Perritt was named to the National Collegiate Baseball Writers Association (NCBWA) and the Louisville Slugger/Collegiate Baseball Newspaper
Preseason All-American teams as an utility player (two-way player).
• Perritt was selected to the NCBWA's second team and the Collegiate Baseball Newspaper's third team.
• Last week, he was listed among 50 pitchers on the 2014 NCBWA Stopper of the Year Watch list. The award goes annually to the top closer in college baseball.
• He becomes Liberty's second player to garner Preseason All-American honors from the Collegiate Baseball Newspaper. The paper selected Aaron Grijalva as a Preseason All-American at first base in 2008.
• The utility player was voted the 2013 Big South Tournament MVP and later, was named to the VaSID All-State team.