Flames NewsFlames Home > News
Flames Fall on the Road at #27 LSU
The Liberty men's tennis team suffered its second setback of the season on Saturday, losing on the road at No. 27 LSU, 7-0, at Dub Robinson Stadium.
The Flames' second loss in a row drops their record to 2-2 on the season and lowers their all-time record against ranked opponents to 1-9. LSU, which beat North Florida earlier in the day, improves to 3-2 on the year.
Liberty fell behind early after LSU won the doubles tally with victories in the top two positions. Liberty's No. 26 ranked pair of Shea Thomas and Jorge Azuero dropped their first match of the season, falling to No. 60 Chad Simpson and Boris Arias, 6-1. The Tigers secured the match's first point after No. 46 Tam Trinh and Eric Perez knocked off the Flames' Egon Samaai and Josiah Boda, 6-2. The No. 3 match between LSU's Andrew Korinek and Justin Butsch and Liberty's Stan Vaughan and Alejandro Llamas was called off with the Tigers' duo leading 4-3.
LSU picked up wins in the first four singles positions and at No. 6. Harrison Kennedy dropped Llamas' season record to 2-2 with a 6-1, 6-2 victory at No. 4. Boda, playing in his first singles match of the year, lost to John Michael Busch, 6-2, 6-1, in the No. 6 spot. The Tigers sealed the win when Simpson dealt Thomas his first defeat of the season, 6-1, 6-3.
In the No. 3 spot, Arias ousted Samaai in a tight match, 6-3, 6-5 (5), before Korinek knocked off Azuero at No. 2, 6-2, 6-4.
The match concluded with a win from Butsch over Vaughan in the No. 5 position. The Liberty senior took the first set, 6-5 (5), but Butsch rallied to take the final two sets, 6-1, 6-4.
The Flames will next make a trip to the Pacific Northwest to play a trio of matches. Liberty opens its trip on Friday at 6 p.m. (EST) with a contest against Lewis & Clark in Portland, Ore.
No. 27 LSU 6, Liberty 1
1. Chad Simpson (LSU) def. Shea Thomas (LU), 6-1, 6-3
2. Andrew Korinek (LSU) def. Jorge Azuero (LU), 6-2, 6-4
3. Boris Arias (LSU) def. Egon Samaai (LU), 6-3, 6-5 (7-5)
4. Harrison Kennedy (LSU) def. Alejandro Llamas (LU), 6-1, 6-2
5. Justin Butsch (LSU) def. Stan Vaughan (LU), 5-6 (5-7), 6-1, 6-4
6. John Michael Busch (LSU) def. Josiah Boda (LU), 6-2, 6-1
1. No. 60 Chad Simpson/Boris Arias (LSU) def. No. 26 Shea Thomas/Jorge Azuero (LU), 6-1
2. No. 46 Tam Trinh/Eric Perez (LSU) def. Egon Samaai/Josiah Boda (LU), 6-2
3. Andrew Korinek/Justin Butsch (LSU) def. Stan Vaughan/Alejandro Llamas (LU), 4-3 DNF