Flames NewsFlames Home > Men's Tennis Home > News
Flames Down Radford, 4-3, on Senior Day
Liberty men's tennis seniors Shea Thomas and Stan Vaughan closed out their playing days at the Hershey Tennis Courts on a high note, helping the Flames knock off Big South Conference rival Radford, 4-3, on Friday afternoon.
Liberty notches its second win in a row and third in its last four matches to improve to 10-9 on the season and 3-3 in Big South action. Radford's record drops to 2-11 overall and 2-4 in league play.
For the third time in conference play and sixth time overall this season, Liberty swept through the doubles contests. At No. 2, the Flames' Jorge Azuero and Stan Vaughan teamed up for the first time this year to knock off Joe Mills and Nicolas Sayer, 8-3.
Playing in the No. 1 position for the first time since Feb. 14, Liberty's Egon Samaai and Dillon Segur bounced Janken Thoen and Nico Ascarrunz, 8-4. The duo improved to a team-best 11-3 on the season and 5-1 in league matchups.
Shea Thomas and Guillem Secanell finished off the sweep with an 8-5 defeat of Patrick O'Keefe and Javier Waase in the No. 3 spot.
Thomas pushed Liberty's advantage to 2-0 with a strong, 6-2, 6-2 defeat of No. 119 ranked Nicolas Sayer in the No. 1 singles position. The victory ties the Flames' senior with Giancarlo Lemmi for the second-most singles wins (71) in program history and pushes his win total this season to a team-best 12-6.
The Highlanders tallied the next three points with wins at No. 3, 4 and 5 to go on top 3-2. Azuero fell to Mills, 6-1, 6-2, before Vaughan was bested by Aymeric Autones, 7-5, 6-3. Thoen notched Radford's final point of the day with a 6-4, 6-5 defeat of Alejandro Llamas.
Liberty closed the match with wins from Segur and Samaai at No. 6 and No. 2, respectively. Segur rallied from a one-set deficit to knock off Ascarrunz, 1-6, 7-5, 6-1, tying the match at three apiece. Samaai followed with a tight 7-6 (4), 7-6 (3) win against O'Keefe to seal the win.
The Flames close out the regular season next week with a pair of conference road matches. The Flames travel to face Coastal Carolina on Wednesday, before challenging Campbell on Thursday.
Liberty 4, Radford 3
1. Egon Samaai/Dillon Segur (LU) def. Janken Thoen/Nico Ascarrunz (RU), 8-4
2. Jorge Azuero/Stan Vaughan (LU) def. Joe Mills/Nicolas Sayer (RU), 8-3
3. Shea Thomas/Guillem Secanell (LU) def. Patrick O'Keefe/Javier Waase (RU), 8-5
1. Shea Thomas (LU) def. Nicolas Sayer (RU), 6-2, 6-2
2. Egon Samaai (LU) def. Patrick O'Keefe (RU), 7-6 (4), 7-6 (3)
3. Joe Mills (RU) def. Jorge Azuero (LU), 6-1, 6-2
4. Aymeric Autones (RU) def. Stan Vaughan (LU), 7-5, 6-3
5. Janken Thoen (RU) def. Alejandro Llamas (LU), 6-4, 6-5
6. Dillon Segur (LU) def. Nico Ascarrunz (RU), 1-6, 7-5, 6-1