Flames NewsFlames Home > Men's Tennis Home > News
Thomas Sets Doubles Record as Flames Knock Off Longwood
The Liberty men's tennis team notched its first Big South win of the season on Thursday, ousting the Longwood Lancers, 5-2, at Lancer Courts. During the team victory, senior Shea Thomas became Liberty's all-time leader in doubles victories with a win in the No. 3 position.
The victory improves the Flames' record to 8-8 overall and 1-2 in Big South matches. The Lancers fall to 1-13 for the season and 0-5 in conference contests.
For the second match in a row and the fifth time overall this season, the Flames posted a sweep of the doubles contests. The sweep was highlighted by a win at the No. 3 position by the Flames' Thomas and Stan Vaughan. The senior duo knocked off Bharani Sankar and Justin Higgs, 8-7 (7-3), giving Thomas the most doubles wins in program history with 80. Thomas' mark breaks the old record (79), which was held by current Lady Flames tennis assistant coach Giancarlo Lemmi.
At No. 2, Liberty's Egon Samaai and Dillon Segur improved to a team-best 8-3 in doubles tilts after defeating Warren Bryan and James Fudge, 8-3. Jorge Azuero and Alejandro Llamas completed the sweep for the Flames with an 8-7 (7-1) victory in the No. 1 position over Daniel Elston and Edward Becker.
Liberty extended its lead to 3-0 with wins in the No. 3 and No. 2 singles positions. Azuero made quick work of Steed Johnosn, 6-2, 6-1, before Thomas downed Becker, 6-2, 7-6. Thomas' victory ties him with Samaai for the team lead in singles wins with nine.
Longwood picked up back-to-back wins at No. 1 and No. 4 to pull within one, at 3-2. Elston knocked off Samaai, 6-2, 6-4, while Bryan edged Vaughan in a tight match, 7-6, 7-6.
The Flames closed the contest with wins from Segur in the No. 5 spot against Higgs, 6-7, 6-3, 6-1, and Guillem Secanell in the No. 6 position against Sankar, 7-6, 6-7, 10-3.
Liberty returns to play on Sunday with a home match against Big South foe Gardner-Webb. The contest is scheduled to begin at 1 p.m. at the Hershey Tennis Courts.
Liberty 5, Longwood 2
1. Jorge Azuero/Alejandro Llamas (LU) def. Daniel Elston/Edward Becker (LW), 8-7 (7-1)
2. Egon Samaai/Dillon Segur (LU) def. Warren Bryan/James Fudge (LW), 8-3
3. Shea Thomas/Stan Vaughan (LU) def. Bharani Sankar/Justin Higgs (LW), 8-7 (7-3)
1. Daniel Elston (LW) def. Egon Samaai (LU), 6-2, 6-4
2. Shea Thomas (LU) def. Edward Becker (LW), 6-2, 7-6
3. Jorge Azuero (LU) Steed Johnson (LW), 6-2, 6-1
4. Warren Bryan (LW) def. Stan Vaughan (LU), 7-6, 7-6
5. Dillon Segur (LU) def. Justin Higgs (LW), 6-7, 6-3, 6-1
6. Guillem Secanell (LU) def. Bharani Sankar (LW), 7-6, 6-7, 10-3