Tryout InformationFlames Home > Tryout Information
Liberty Athletics Tryout Information
To find out sport specific meeting and tryout dates/times please contact the coach. Athletic Directory
Thank you for your interest in becoming a member of a Liberty University Athletics Team. Becoming a member of the Flames is a highly competitive process. We wish you the best in this process.
As a member of the Big South Conference and the NCAA, there are certain protocols that must be followed to ensure the safety of all participants and compliance with eligibility standards. Please keep the following measures in mind as you prepare for the tryout.
Liberty University Athletics
To be eligible to try out as a walk-on student-athlete, a student must be a full-time student at Liberty University and be enrolled in at least 12 hours of undergraduate work or nine hours of graduate work.
a. Freshmen: Meet NCAA initial eligibility standards (visit www.eligibilitycenter.com for more details)
b. Sophomores: Have passed 24 hours with a 1.8 GPA
c. Juniors: Have passed 48 degree applicable hours with a 1.9 GPA
d. Seniors: Have passed 72 degree applicable hours with a 2.0 GPA
In order to participate in a tryout for a varsity athletics team at Liberty University, a prospective student-athlete must have and present ALL of the following information prior to the tryout:
1. Complete the Walk-On Try-Out Form (Form A) and bring it to the tryout. (If you are having trouble accessing this form or any other form, please try opening the form in Internet Explorer.)
2. A pre-participation physical examination completed within 6 months of the date of tryout. The physical exam must clear the prospective student athlete to fully participate in athletics and must be performed by a licensed physician. If you choose to complete the physical examination somewhere other than Health Services, your physician MUST complete and sign the Liberty University Pre-Participation Physical Evaluation Form (Form B). *It is recommended that the physical exam, when possible, be performed at the Liberty University Health Services because once a walk-on candidate is chosen to be a member of the team they will need to have a physical performed by a Liberty University Team Physician (see below).
3. Official results of a blood test for sickle cell trait and sickle cell disease (Per NCAA Mandate beginning August 1, 2010). Most people will have had this test performed at birth, so the results of the test will need to be obtained and presented at the time of tryout along with the physical. Those unable to obtain these records will need to have the test performed prior to the tryout. To obtain a test consult your local physician or health department. Those students who obtain their physical through the Liberty University Health Services can be tested. RESULTS OF THE TEST CAN TAKE A FEW DAYS TO COME BACK SO PLAN AHEAD. You should plan to have your physical at least 1 week in advance of your tryout.
4. Complete the Walk-On Liability/Waiver Form (Form C). If you are a minor you must have the signature of a parent or guardian to try-out for a team.
5. Proof of valid health insurance that covers athletic injuries (Deductibles must be no more than $1,000.00 and all policies must have out of network benefits including HMO’s, PPO’s and TriCare). A copy of the front and back of the insurance card must be presented at the time of tryout. If a prospective walk-on athlete does not have valid health insurance that covers athletic injuries, he or she will not be able to participate until they have done so. Please make arrangements to have copies of your insurance card made ahead of time as the Sports Medicine Staff will not be available to do so.
If a prospective student-athlete does not have ALL of the information listed above prior to the tryout, they will not be allowed to participate. THERE ARE NO EXCEPTIONS.
* The cost for an athletic physical at Liberty University Health Services is $157.00 (+ $10.00 for a sickle cell screen if you do not provide results from a previous test). This fee can be filed to your primary health insurance at the time of your visit. Please be aware that Liberty University Athletics is not responsible for any co-pays, deductibles or balances left unpaid once insurance is filed. Depending on your insurance coverage and benefits you may be required to pay part or all of the physical at the time of your visit. Please remember that once you make the team you will be required to obtain a physical from Health Services at your expense if you have not already done so.
In order to participate in any walk-on try-out, you must complete and meet each of the five requirements listed above.
If you are selected to join the team you will need to complete the following:
1. Register with the NCAA Eligibility Center to have your academic and amateur status verified. The cost to register is $50 for US citizens and $75 for all others. If you are in your first year as a full time college student, you will also need to pay to have test scores from either SAT or ACT (approximate cost of $20) sent to the Eligibility Center as well as high school transcripts.
2. If the physical used for tryout was not done with Health Services, a second physical done by a Health Services Physician will need to be performed. This will be scheduled by ATC Staff and will cost $157.
If you have any additional questions please contact a member of the coaching staff.
Baseball - Jason Murray - Phone: (434) 582-2103
Field Hockey - Jodi Murphy - Phone: (434) 582-2393
Football - Kyle DeArmon - Phone: (434) 592-4695
• Additional Football Only Walk-On requirements:
• Next Tryout Date: Aug. 29, 2015 - Registration at 9 a.m.; Tryouts at 10 a.m.
• Must provide a letter of recommendation from your previous football coach
• Must provide your highlight DVD or link to highlights prior to registration
• Must have a 2.5 GPA or above
• Must register with the NCAA Eligibility Center
Men's Basketball - Rebekah Ray - Phone: (434) 582-2337
Men's Golf - Jeff Thomas - Phone: (434) 582-7448
Men's Soccer - Jeff Alder - Phone: (434) 582-2381
Men's Tennis - Chris Johnson - Phone: (434) 582-2409
Softball - TBA - Phone: (434) 582-7255
Track & Field/Cross Country (Men's and Women's) - Brant Tolsma - Phone: (434) 582-2455
Women's Basketball - Katie Garlick - Phone: (434) 582-2907
Women's Lacrosse - Kelly Nangle - Phone: (434) 582-2564
Women's Soccer - Adam Godwin - Phone: (434) 582-2389
Women's Swimming - Jake Shellenberger - Phone: (434) 582-2387
Women's Tennis - Jeff Maren - Phone: (434) 592-6259
Volleyball - Cassie Crumal - Phone: (434) 592-5714