Flames NewsFlames Home > Men's Tennis Home > News
Flames Conclude Regular Season with 5-2 Win Over Campbell
The Liberty men's tennis team wrapped up its regular season on a high note, defeating the Campbell Camels, 5-2, on Thursday afternoon at the Nisbet Tennis Center.
"I'm very proud of these guys," stated Liberty Head Coach Chris Johnson. "We are certainly headed into the tournament on a high note. Taking the last two matches back-to-back on the road is huge."
The Flames are riding a hot streak as they head into next week's Big South Men's Tennis Championship. Liberty has won four-matches in a row, improving its overall record to 12-9 and league mark to 5-3. Thursday's win helps the Flames avenge a pair of losses last season to the Camels, including a narrow 4-3 setback in the quarterfinals of the Big South Championship. Campbell's record falls to 11-7 on the season and 5-2 in conference play.
Liberty looked to its top doubles tandem of Egon Samaai and Dillon Segur to secure the contest's first point. The No. 1 duo delivered with their team-leading 12th win of the season, defeating Dominik Kaniewski and Adrien Rossignon, 8-5.
Campbell came back with victories in two of the first three singles matches to tie the overall team match score at two apiece. At No. 1, Guillen downed Thomas, 6-1, 6-2, before Llamas ousted Krone, 7-6, 6-2, in the No. 6 position. The Camels final point of the match came when Steven Billington knocked off Vaughan in the No. 4 spot, 6-2, 7-5.
The Flames broke open the 2-2 tie with wins in the remaining three tilts. Samaai won his 12th match of the season, besting Visser, 6-3, 2-6, 6-3, at No. 2.
Jorge Azuero delivered the clinching point with a victory in the No. 3 position over Kaniewski, 7-6 (7-5), 6-1.
Segur continued his strong singles play of late with a three-set victory at No. 5, giving Liberty the 5-2 team victory. The junior beat Rossignon, 6-1, 4-6, 6-3, to win his sixth match in a row and improve to 10-5 overall and 6-2 in Big South matches.
The Flames will next compete in the Big South Men's Tennis Championship, which begins next week at Gardner-Webb. Seedings and the schedule for the tournament will be released on Sunday.
Liberty 5, Campbell 2
1. Egon Samaai/Dillon Segur (LU) def. Dominik Kaniewski/Adrien Rossignon (CAM), 8-5
2. Stan Vaughan/Alejandro Llamas (LU) def. Rik Van Gerwen/Fernando Guillen (CAM) 8-7 (7-4)
3. Marthinus Visser/Jean-Marc Krone (CAM) def. Shea Thomas/Guillem Secanell (LU), 8-5
1. Fernando Guillen (CAM) def. Shea Thomas (LU), 6-1, 6-2
2. Egon Samaai (LU) def. Marthinus Visser (CAM), 6-3, 2-6, 6-3
3. Jorge Azuero (LU) def. Dominik Kaniewski (CAM), 7-6 (7-5), 6-1
4. Steven Billington (CAM) def. Stan Vaughan (LU), 6-2, 7-5
5. Dillon Segur (LU) def. Adrien Rossignon (CAM), 6-1, 4-6, 6-3
6. Alejandro Llamas (LU) def. Jean-Marc Krone (CAM), 7-6, 6-2