Flames NewsFlames Home > Baseball Home > News
Liberty Heads to Longwood for Big South Series
LIBERTY AT LONGWOOD
Charles "Buddy" Bolding Stadium
Friday - 6 p.m.
Saturday - 4 p.m.
Sunday - 1 p.m.
Sunday 90.9 FM "The Light"
• Liberty enters the week with a 26-8 overall record. The Flames have won four in a row and 12 out of their last 13 games.
• This past Tuesday, Liberty defeated Richmond, 10-7, at Liberty Baseball Stadium. With the win, Liberty moves to 6-2 in midweek contests.
• The Flames swept a three-game Big South Conference series from VMI, last weekend. Jim Toman's squad sits atop the conference's North Division standings with an 11-1 record. The mark ties Liberty's best 12-game start in program history.
• Liberty has won nine straight Big South Conference games. The Flames have shut out their opponent in each of their last six Big South games and has not allowed a run over the last 60 innings in conference play.
• Liberty is 10-5 on the road this season. The Flames have won seven of their last eight road contests.
• The Flames lead the Big South Conference with a .301 team batting average and a 2.45 team ERA.
• RHP Parker Bean has been named the Big South Pitcher of the Week and earned Louisville Slugger National Player of the Week honors, Monday.
• Bean came within two outs of a no-hitter in win over VMI, last Sunday. The freshman right-hander struck out a career-high 16 batters and allowed only one batter to reach second base over 81/3 scoreless innings.
• Bean is tied with teammate Carson Herndon for second in the Big South Conference with five wins. Fellow Liberty RHP Trey Lambert leads the conference with seven wins.
• Lambert ran his record to 7-1, last Friday in 5-0 win over VMI. It was the second-straight shutout for senior. The week before, Lambert pitched a one-hit complete-game shutout at Presbyterian College, earning Big South Pitcher of the Week honors fro March 24-20.
• Lambert not only leads the conference in wins, but ranks fourth in ERA (1.92) and innings pitched (56.1) and is seventh in opponent batting average (.206)
• LHP Shawn Clowers moved to 4-0, pitching 5 1/3 innings of relief in win over Richmond, Tuesday night. Clowers did give up his first earned runs of the year. The reliever did not allow a run over his first 24 1/3 innings.
• Clowers was named the Big South Co-Pitcher of the Week for March 17-23. The reliever did not allow a run in 10 2/3 scoreless innings, recording two wins.
• 2B Ryan Seiz had three hits, driving in three runs in win over VMI, last Sunday. Seiz leads the Flames with 16 multi-hit games.
• Seiz hit a solo home run with two out in the eighth to break a 3-3 tie, giving Liberty 4-3 win over Duke, 4/1. It was his seventh HR of the season.
• Seiz was named the Big South Player of the Week for March 24-30. It is the second time, he has received the honor this season.
• Seiz currently leads the Big South in RBIs, doubles, home runs, on base percentage and slugging percentage and total bases (81). He is second in batting average and runs scored.
• 1B Alex Close has reached base in 25 consecutive games.
• Close is second in the Big South with 30 RBIs and third with five home runs and a .548 slugging percentage. He is tied with teammate Dalton Britt for seventh in the conference with 44 hits.
• SS Dalton Britt has started every game this season, spending time at both shortstop and third base. He has started 17 of his last 18 games at shortstop.
• RF Will Shepherd went 4-for-4 and scored twice in 5-0 win over VMI, last Friday evening.
• RHP Ashton Perritt is tied for the Big South Conference lead with eight saves. Not only did he earn No. 8, Tuesday, but he also had two hits, scored two runs and drove in two runs in win over Richmond.
• C Danny Grauer collected three hits, drove in three runs and scored three runs in win over VMI, last Sunday.
• Grauer is tied for sixth in home runs (4) and RBIs (25) and is ninth in slugging percentage. (.487) in the Big South Conference.
Toman One Away from 250
• Liberty head coach Jim Toman enters the weekend one victory shy of 250 career wins.
• In seven years, Toman has compiled a 249-145-1 career record with a .632 winning percentage.
• Toman has recorded the best winning NCAA Division I winning percentage and best Big South Conference mark of any coach in school history.
• Toman is one of only two Liberty coaches to win over 200 games in program history. He joins program founder Al Worthington, who posted 343 victories during 13 seasons as the Flames head coach.
Bean Named Big South Pitcher of Week, Earns National Awards
• Pitcher Parker Bean was selected as the Big South Player of the Week, Monday.
• The freshman right-hander also was recognized as one of the Louisville Slugger National Player of the Week by Collegiate Baseball Newspaper and a National Player of the Week for Week 8 by NCAA.com.
• Bean came within two outs of pitching a no-hitter, Sunday. He struck out a career-high 16 and allowed only one runner to reach second in the game.
• The lone hit by the Keydets came with one out in the ninth inning, as Bean retired 14 batters in a row during the game.
• It is the first time, the freshman has earned the conference plaudit.
Flames Clubhouse Report
• Join the Liberty Flames Sports Network's Nick Pierce each week for a look at Flames Baseball.
• The audio show is available at LibertyFlames.com each week throughout the season.
• Pierce, who brings you all the action of Liberty Flames baseball, takes a look back at the previous week, along with comments from Liberty head coach Jim Toman and key Flames.