Flames NewsFlames Home > Baseball Home > News
Liberty to Host VMI For Big South Conference Series
VMI AT LIBERTY
Liberty Baseball Stadium
Friday - 7 p.m.
Saturday - 3 p.m.
Sunday - 2 p.m.
Sunday 90.9 FM "The Light"
• Liberty enters this weekend's Big South Conference series atop the North Division standings with an 8-1 record.
• Liberty had a season-high eight-game winning streak come to an end at Maryland, Wednesday. It is the second time Liberty has had a winning streak of eight games this season.
• Tuesday, Liberty hit three home runs, including a home run in the eighth inning by Ryan Seiz to break a 3-3 tie in a 4-3 win over Duke.
• The Flames are 12-3 at home in 2014 and have won 10 out of their last 11 home games.
• Last weekend, Liberty did not give up a run during their series at Presbyterian College. The Flames did not to allow a run over 34 2/3 innings from March 23-April 2.
• Liberty leads the Big South Conference in team batting with a .296 average and in team pitching with a 2.54 ERA.
• Liberty finished the month of March with a 17-2 mark (.895).
• The Flames hit .309 and averaged 6.7 runs per game during the month of March.
• Liberty pitching posted a 1.32 ERA and held its opponents to a .190 batting average during March. Flames' opponents averaged 1.6 runs per game during the month.
• Liberty's Ryan Seiz and Trey Lambert earned Big South Conference weekly honors, Monday. Seiz received his second Player of the Week honor, while Lambert was named Pitcher of the Week.
• 2B Ryan Seiz hit a solo home run with two out in the eighth to break a 3-3 tie, giving Liberty 4-3 win over Duke, Tuesday evening. It was his seventh HR of the season.
• Seiz was named the Big South Player of the Week for March 24-30. It is the second time, he has received the honor this season.
• Seiz hit .571 with eight hits and four RBI to lead the Flames to a series sweep against Presbyterian College, last weekend.
• Seiz continues to lead the Flames in batting average (.422), runs (31), home runs (7), on base percentage (.507) and slugging percentage (.741).
• He is currently leads the Big South Conference in batting average, runs scored, slugging percentage and total bases (81). He is second in RBIs (27) to teammate Alex Close and is second in on base percentage in the conference.
• 1B Alex Close hit three home runs in three-straight games. He hit a round tripper in
Saturday's and Sunday's games at Presbyterian College and one in 4-3 win over Duke, Tuesday. He is second on the Flames with five home runs.
• Close leads the Flames with 28 RBIs and with a .405 batting average with runners in scoring position.
• Close leads the Big South Conference with 28 RBIs, tied for third in home runs and slugging percentage (.545).
• RHP Trey Lambert ran his record to 6-1, last Friday in 5-0 win at Presbyterian College. Lambert has won his last five starts and leads the Big South Conference in wins.
• Lambert pitched a one-hit complete-game shutout at Presbyterian College, last Friday,. He struck out seven and completed the shutout by retiring the last 14 batters, earning Big South Pitcher of the Week honors fro March 24-20.
• RHP Matt Marsh picked up his first win of 2014, Tuesday night against Duke. Marsh pitched 2 1/3 scoreless innings, allowing one hit. He struck out five and did not walk a batter.
• SS Dalton Britt has started every game this season, spending time at both shortstop and third base. He has started 13 of his last 14 games at shortstop.
• 3B Dylan Allen went 3-for-3 and scored two runs in 8-0 win over Presbyterian, this past Saturday. It was the second three-hit game of his career.
• Allen and RF Will Shepherd each are hitting .400 with runners in scoring position.
• C Danny Grauer had three hits, including his fourth home run of the season, last Sunday at Presbyterian College.
• The C is tied for sixth in home runs (4) and is eighth in slugging percentage. (.490) in the Big South Conference.
• RHP Ashton Perritt is tied for the Big South Conference lead with seven saves.
• RHP Carson Herndon pitched six scoreless innings in 8-0 win over Presbyterian College, this past Saturday. He allowed two hits and struck out six batters.
• RHP Parker Bean pitched six scoreless innings in 8-0 victory over Presbyterian College, Sunday. He struck out a career-high seven batters.
Seiz, Lambert Earn Weekly Conference and ECAC Awards
• Liberty's Ryan Seiz was named the Big South Conference Baseball Player of the Week, while teammate Trey Lambert was tabbed Pitcher of the Week for games played March 24-30, Monday.
• Later this past week, the two players received ECAC Player of the Week honors.
• Seiz hit .571 with eight hits and four RBI to lead the Flames to a series sweep against Presbyterian College, this past weekend.
• The 2B had three hits in each of Liberty's victories on Friday and Sunday. Friday each of his three hits were doubles.
• Seiz had a pair of hits, three RBI, a double and his team-leading sixth home run of the year in Liberty's 8-0 win, Saturday.
• It is his second Big South Player of the Week nod this season.
• Lambert posted a one-hit complete game shutout win over Presbyterian, Friday.
• In the rainy conditions, the right-hander struck out seven hitters with no walks. The only hit he allowed was a two-out double in the first inning, as he held the PC hitters to a .033 average. He retired the last 14 hitters he faced to close out the contest.
• The honor is his first Big South Pitcher of the Week plaudit this season and the second of this career.
• Lambert was also highlighted by NCAA.com as one of their top performers for week 7 of the college baseball season.
Among the National Leaders
• Liberty began the week among the top 20 NCAA Division I baseball teams in several categories based on the March 30th statistical report.
• The Flames began the week, 10th in the nation with 57 doubles and 11th in hits with 305. Meanwhile, Liberty pitchers ranked 10th in walks allowed per nine innings, 2.25, and 10th with a 1.03 WHIP.
• 2B Ryan Seiz was third in total bases (66), sixth in hits (47) and fourth in slugging percentage (.750) and 16th in runs scored (30). C Becker Sankey was 20th nationally, after being hit by a pitch 11 times.
• Among pitchers, Ashton Perritt ranked 11th in the country with seven saves, while Jared Lyons ranked fourth in WHIP (0.67) and seventh in ERA (0.52). Trey Lambert was fifth in the nation with five wins.