Flames Home > Field Hockey Home > News

Field Hockey Drops Heartbreaker at No. 18 Wake Forest, 3-2

September 13, 2013
|  Winston-Salem, N.C.
|   RSS
|   Share
|   Box Score

Natalie Barr (left) assisted on Ashlee Krulock's (right) second goal of the season.

A pair of late goals helped the 18th ranked Wake Forest Demon Deacons rally past the visiting Liberty Lady Flames field hockey squad, 3-2, on Friday afternoon at Kentner Stadium. The Lady Flames' record drops to 2-2 overall on the season, while the Demon Deacons improve to 4-1.

Hannah Jones scored her team-leading third goal of the season and Ashlee Krulock chipped in her second tally of the year for Liberty in the defeat. 

The Demon Deacons jumped on the scoreboard quickly, scoring in the contest's fourth minute. Kari Walkley corralled a loose ball in front of the Liberty goal and snuck it past Lady Flames goalkeeper Ann Jefferis to put Wake Forest on top 1-0.

The Lady Flames knotted the score at one with just over 20 minutes remaining in the opening half. Hannah Jones inserted Liberty's second penalty corner of the contest into the left side of the circle to Serena Barr. The freshman dumped the ball back toward the cage to a waiting Jones. The sophomore banged the pass into the goal for her third marker of the season.

The game remained tied at one heading into the halftime break. The second half opened with the Lady Flames grabbing their fourth penalty corner of the contest. Off of the penalty corner attempt, Natalie Barr ripped a shot just wide of the cage, keeping the score deadlocked at one apiece.

Liberty continued to control the tempo of the game, as Bethany Barr and Erin Dombach each recorded shots in the 55th and 56th minutes, respectively.

The Lady Flames finally broke the tie with just over six minutes remaining in the contest. Off of a restart, Natalie Barr dribbled around the Demon Deacon's defense down the left end line. The sophomore worked her way toward the cage and lifted a crossing pass in front of the goal. Ashlee Krulock collected the bouncing ball and tapped it into the cage from close range, putting the Lady Flames on top 2-1.

Anna Kozniuk evened the score for Wake Forest, scoring her first of two goals for the game on a penalty stroke with 2:43 left in the contest.

Just over a minute later, Wake Forest was awarded a penalty corner and was able to capitalize on the attempt. Kozniuk knocked in the game-winner off of a double assist from Taylor Rhea and Holly Brown for her second score of the game and fourth of the season, giving the Demon Deacons what ended up being the final 3-2 edge.

For the contest, Wake Forest held the advantage in shots, 15-8, and penalty corners, 6-4. Jefferis finished the game with six saves in the cage for Liberty, while Wake Forest's Valerie Dahmen notched three stops, en route to the victory.

Liberty returns to the pitch on Sunday with a contest at VCU. Game time is scheduled for 2 p.m. at Cary Street Field.