W-9 & W-8BEN


Do I need to get a W-9/W-8BEN?


  • The vendor will be paid with a check.
  • The vendor will be paid with a wire.
  • Accounts Payable does not have one on file.
  • The payment is strictly a reimbursement (i.e. mileage or flight for a recruit)
    • All reimbursements must have a receipt (or map documentation for mileage).


  • The vendor will be paid with a PCard.
  • Accounts Payable already has one on file.

What is the difference between a W-9 and a W-8BEN?

How do I get a W-9?

All W-9s and W-8BENs must have a signature.

All W-9s must have EITHER a Social Security Number OR an Employee Identification Number but NOT BOTH or it will be returned.

When submitting a W-9 or W-8 BEN form, please ensure that the most current version of Form W-9 or W-8 BEN, as provided by http://www.irs.gov/, is used.

If you have any questions about W-9s and W-8BENs, please contact Accounts Payable by email acctspay@liberty.edu or by phone (434) 592-3166.