Singer stars in film

Anthem Lights’ Alan Powell steps off the stage in order to act in Christian movie

Liberty University alumnus Alan Powell, who graduated in 2007, is used to performing onstage. He is used to the lights and screaming fans. As a member of the Christian pop band Anthem Lights, he is used to touring the country and singing his heart out.

perform — Anthem Lights member and Liberty alumnus Alan Powell added “actor” to his résumé. Photo provided

Perform — Anthem Lights member and Liberty alumnus Alan Powell added “actor” to his résumé. Photo provided

But this past year, Powell took on a new challenge, something he had never tried before. Powell was recently cast in his very first feature film, “The Song.”
This new adventure began with a single email.

“I have an agent in Nashville, and I just got an email (from him) one day about this film,” Powell said. “They were looking for a character named Jed. I read the character description, and I felt like I really understood this guy.”

Powell decided to audition. After his initial performance, he received a callback and was cast as the lead character shortly thereafter. Powell said he earned the role the “regular, old-fashioned film way.”

Untitled-38

Powell was never hesitant to join the cast. He said he was excited about the film, which is loosely based off the biblical story of Solomon, and strongly believed in its message.

“I believed in what they were doing, the story they were trying to tell,” Powell said. “I’ve always had a passion for film, so the opportunity to be a part of this one was something very exciting.”

According to Powell, getting into character was a day-to-day challenge. Some days were heavier scenes, others were lighter, but he said he just had to wake up and “get into that head space.”

Powell said he and Jed share certain similarities, which helped him relate to his character.

“Jed goes through a lot of different emotions and a lot of different situations,” Powell said. “But he’s a musician, and I am as well, so I understood that aspect — being gone a lot, traveling a lot and being an entertainer. He’s a father and a husband, as am I, so there’s a lot of connection between Jed and me.”

Out of the entire filming experience, there was one day that stood out for Powell — the day his wife came on the set.

“We doubled my wife in for the kissing scene and did 18 or 19 takes, so that was a really fun day,” Powell said.

While he enjoys both performing onstage and performing for the camera, Powell said there is a definite difference between the two.

“When you’re performing for the camera, there are a lot of people around, but you’re supposed to pretend that they’re not there,” Powell said. “When performing on stage, you’re really playing up to the fact that the audience is indeed there.”

Powell said he hopes those who watch the film will realize the importance of friends and family. His desire is for audiences to reach out to their loved ones and show them how much they are appreciated, even if it is only through a simple text message.

“The Song” opened in theaters Sept. 26. For more information about the film and where it is playing, visit thesongmovie.com.

CAMPBELL is the feature editor.