Freshman claims national title

Wrestler Ryan Diehl goes undefeated in the 133-pound division in the National Collegiate Wrestling Association

Freshman wrestler Ryan Diehl was never supposed be at Liberty University, let alone go 34-0 and be the National Collegiate Wrestling Association (NCWA) national champion. He was supposed to be a member of the NCAA top 20-ranked University of Maryland wrestling team.

However, the four-time high school state champion in the states of West Virginia and Pennsylvania was prevented from attending the University of Maryland for academic reasons.

“(It was) three weeks before school started, and I needed to hurry up and scramble to see where I was,” Diehl said. “(I was) calling all of these colleges and couldn’t get in because it was late. I found Liberty, and (I) knew they had a wrestling program and they were tough, and (I) finally got onto the online program here.”

Pedigree — Diehl hopes to continue his success in wrestling. Photo credit: Leah Stauffer

Although Diehl explained that Liberty was not his first choice for college, he expressed his gratitude for the opportunity he has received from Head Coach Jesse Castro and his teammates.

“It was awesome,” Diehl said. “I didn’t think I was going to like (Liberty) at first. I sort of thought it was like a last resort. It was like, ‘I guess it can help me.’ But then I got here, met the team, (and) they welcomed me in with open (arms).”

Despite the struggles Diehl faced finding a college he could attend and wrestle at, he never missed a beat on the mat. Diehl helped Liberty finish second at the NCWA National Championships with his individual title in the 133-pound weight division.

“(Winning the title) meant a lot, just how much time I’ve put in this season and how hard I’ve worked for it,” Diehl said. “I guess they always say hard work
pays off.”

Diehl said that his opponent in the finals was the returning national champion from MIT. He knew he would have his hands full, yet prevailed thanks to his go- to move, a shin-whizzer or, as he likes to call it, the ‘Jonesy.’

Although Diehl entered the NCWA National Championships undefeated, the road to the title was not as easy as it might have sounded. All wrestlers cut weight to reach their respective weight classes, and by the end of the season, the toll on a wrestler’s body can be immense.

“By the beginning of the year, you want to wrestle so bad, and you can’t wait to get on the mat,” Diehl said. “By the end of the year, you’re like, ‘Ah get me off this mat. I don’t want this anymore.’”

In the tournaments leading up to the NCWA National Championships, Diehl moved up to the 141-pound weight division to physically and mentally prepare himself for the cut back down to
133 pounds.

“It was horrible trying to cut down there (to 133),” Diehl said. “I’m not a good dieter. I’m always coming in at 145 or 146 pounds, so it’s like a 13 or 14-pound cut every week. And it just sucks doing that every week. That’s what emotionally drains you and physically drains you — doing that from November to March. So I think going to 141 just mentally prepared me for conference and nationals.”

Although Diehl plans to eventually transfer to Maryland and make his mark in the Big Ten Conference against the likes of four-time defending national champion Penn State University, he has relished his chance to grow as not only a wrestler, but as a person while at Liberty.

“(I) realized if I’m gonna be here, I’m gonna make the best of (my opportunity),” Diehl said. “I’m not gonna be here just because I screwed my grades up. I’m gonna make the best of it while I’m here. It’s definitely a huge opportunity, and I need to capitalize on it.”