Alpha Lambda Delta initiates new students

ALD honor society holds spring initiation April 13 to induct 345 new members, including 80 online students

The Towns Auditorium was nearly filled to capacity Friday night as the Alpha Lambda Delta (ALD) Honor Society held its spring initiation and reception event April 13. A total of 345 students were initiated during the ceremony. Eighty of those students are enrolled online.

Awards — Students are recognized for their academic excellence at the annual Spring Initiation. Photo credit: Melanie Oelrich

ALD is a local chapter of a national interdisciplinary honor society that provides Christian, intellectual and social enrichment, along with leadership experience, for the officers and students who may become eligible for the honor societies of their majors. The purpose of the initiation ceremony is to reward students for their first year of academic achievements, which includes a 3.5 GPA, no failing grades, and at least 12 recorded credits per semester.

During the ceremony, students had the opportunity to hear from a variety of speakers. Sarah Boderck, a freshman special education major, is grateful for the opportunity to be a part of ALD and is excited for the experiences to come.

“My drive for academic excellence will not only increase but will also remain a key part though my college years with my goals and self-expectations growing,” Boderck said.

Boderck spoke of the importance of gaining everything possible from the professors and deans at Liberty.

“No matter what you do, it is always necessary to strive to do your best in all that you do. I plan on learning from my academic excellence and applying those dedicated skills to further myself,” Boderck said.

Jennifer Tari, a freshman nursing major, is also excited for the opportunity to be a part of such a prestigious society.

“It’s quite an honor to be in Alpha Lambda Delta. I plan on getting involved with the service opportunities presented as a member of this honor society. I hope this group can truly make a difference in the lives of those around us for the Lord’s glory,” Tari said.

Dean of the Center for Academic Support and Advising Services Dr. Brian Yates was the keynote speaker for the evening. He encouraged students to put their trust in God, to chase opportunities that have been given to them and to honor Christ first.

“I learned that no matter what I think that I can or cannot do, God is the sole controller of my life and has blessed me with gifts that I plan to use for His purpose,” Boderck said.

“Dr. Yates urged us to ‘never say never’ and to follow our dreams in hopes of changing the world around us for the glory of the Lord. His inspiring life story of never giving up served as a symbol of perseverance and an example for us to follow as new Alpha Lambda Delta members,” Tari said.

Once students are initiated into the society, they will remain members for life. For those who were not able to attend the ceremony Friday night, there will be a makeup initiation ceremony for them to attend. All honor society members must be officially initiated.

ALD emphasizes that educated persons have a responsibility to practice tolerance in dealing with all people, generosity in giving to those in need and insight into the feelings of others. Members are challenged to make a meaningful contribution to society and, through their chapters, engage in community service projects as well as campus service activities.

Today, ALD has more than 235 chapters throughout the nation and offers almost $100,000 in scholarships to its members.

• It is amazing to see how God is mightily using these ALD members. I have had the privileged of knowing Sarah Boderck and seeing her passion for education come alive. Finally, to all of the members, keep up the great work.