Transferring your SEVIS record to Liberty University from another US School


An F-1 student is eligible to transfer to Liberty University if he/she is in valid F-1 status at the time of transfer. Please note that in this context the term "transfer" means changing schools, either in the middle of a degree program or between degrees, regardless of academic level. If a student wishes to transfer from to another school in the US, a school transfer procedure must be completed in SEVIS.

F-1 Students

  • If you are an F-1 student, you must transfer your F-1 record no more than 60 days after you graduate from your current school or you complete your OPT.
  • Your program start date at Liberty University must be within 5 months following the release date set by your current school, or within 5 months of the program completion date in SEVIS, whichever date is earlier.
  • You must currently be maintaining F-1 status.
  • If you have already graduated, you must be within your 60-day “grace period”.

Traveling outside the US

You may stay in the U.S. in between transfer if the SEVIS record transfer procedures are properly followed. However, if you are planning to travel outside the U.S., you must re-enter with an I-20 of the school that holds your active or initial SEVIS record. Travel should:

  • Begin and end before the transfer release date from your current school, so that you can use your current I-20 to re-enter the U.S. 
  • Begin and end after the transfer release date from your current school, so that you use I-20 issued by Liberty University
  • You must report to Liberty University’s International Student Center within 15 days of the program start date listed on your I-20.

Working On-Campus

You may only work on campus (including graduate assistantship) at the school that has access to your SEVIS record. Check with the international student adviser to verify employment eligibility.

OPT Authorization

If you are currently authorized for OPT, choose carefully when deciding what date you would like your SEVIS record transferred to your new school. OPT authorization ends on the "transfer out" date, even if the EAD card is not yet expired. If you plan to work between programs while on OPT contact your international student adviser at both schools to determine a suitable "transfer out" date.


International Student Services Hours

8 a.m.–5 p.m. EST

Closed major holidays

Contact us: (434) 592-4118 - future students - current students

Follow us: Facebook  

chat live 2 Chat Live
Asset 1 Request Info
Asset 1 Apply Now
visit Visit Liberty