Affiliated Websites

Maintaining F-2 Dependent Status

The spouse and minor children (under 21 years old) accompanying an F-1 student are eligible for admission in F-2 status. 


  • The spouse and children of an F-1 student will each be issued an individual SEVIS Form I-20. 
  • An F-2 may not work under any conditions in the U.S.
  • An F-2  may only be enrolled part time in post-secondary education.
  • An F-2 child may study at the primary and/or secondary level (K-12).
  • An F-2 wanting to attend university full time must apply for an F-1 status. The dependent must be approved for F-1 status before they are able to begin taking classes full time.

Changes to Dependents

  • Please let your International Student Advisor (ISA) know if your F-2 dependent is no longer living in the U.S.
  • If you need to add an F-2 dependent to your F-1 I-20, you will need to show an affidavit of increased financial support. Contact your ISA for more information. 
  • F-2 child dependents are no longer eligible for F-2 status after the age of 21. Contact an immigration attorney to apply for change of status. 


(434) 592-4118

DeMoss Hall, Room 2232


8 a.m.–5 p.m. EST