When autocomplete options are available, use up and down arrows to review and enter to select.

Traveling Outside the United States

Before You Leave:

  1. Meet with your International Student Advisor (ISA) to get your I-20 signed.
    • You must have a travel signature on page 2 of your I-20. Contact your ISA at  (434) 592-4118 or email mystatus@liberty.edu.
    • When an ISA signs your I-20 the signature means that:
      • You are in F-1 status
      • You are enrolled in accordance with regulations
      • You are permitted to return to Liberty University
  2. Check your visa expiration date.
    • You always need a valid student F-1 visa to re-enter the United States. If your visa has expired, you should include a visit to the U.S. consulate in your travel plans. Google “U.S. embassy in (name of your home country)” for information on that process and what you need to bring with you from Liberty for the interview.


  • If you have been issued an electronic I-94 then your record will be updated electronically when you cross the border and you will have access to your I-94 record through the Customs and Border Patrol website
  • It is recommended that you also take along a copy of your transcript (official or unofficial), enrollment verification letter, financial documents (e.g. Financial Check-In confirmation, itemized receipt, and bank statements), and student ID card.
  • Your travel signature is only valid for one year.
  • If for any reason you will need an I-20 shipped inside or outside of the United States, you as the student will be required to cover the International Shipping charges.

If you will be traveling during the summer, it is your responsibility to determine visa and other requirements for all of the countries you plan to visit.


(434) 592-4118

DeMoss Hall, Room 2232


8 a.m.–5 p.m. EST

Chat Live
Request Info
Apply Now
Visit Liberty