Options After Graduation

International students have several options after graduation. You must make your plans well before graduation and let your International Student Advisor know (ISA) so your record can be maintained.

Be sure to contact the Career Center for assistance with your resume, tips on interviewing for a job, and counseling to assist you in finding jobs that might fit your major. Any work you do on Optional Practical Training (OPT) must be in your field of study.

Optional Practical Training (OPT)

This is 12 months of work authorization in your field of study. Students studying in a field of Science, Technology Engineering, or Math (STEM), may be eligible for a 24 month STEM OPT Extension.

Pursue Another Degree Program

Continue your studies in a graduate program at Liberty University, or continue at a different school and transfer your I-20.

Apply for a Different Visa Status (other than F-1)

Each semester, the Office of International Student Services holds a workshop led by an immigration lawyer, Mr. Art Serratelli of Serratelli Mijal PLLC. Mr. Serratelli explains the options available to students after graduation. Look for an email from the International Student Center announcing the workshop each semester.

Return to Your Home Country After Graduation

Your F1 student status allows you to remain inside the U.S. for 60 days prior to the end date on your I-20. Your ISA will match your I-20 end date to the conferral date of your degree. Submit your Completion Form to your ISA before you leave the U.S. so they can close out your SEVIS record.

Contact your International Student Advisor for more information at (434) 592-4118 or MyStatus@liberty.edu


(434) 592-4118

(434) 522-0430 (fax)

Chat Live


8 a.m.-5 p.m.

chat live 2 Chat Live
Asset 1 Request Info
Asset 1 Apply Now
visit Visit Liberty