When autocomplete options are available, use up and down arrows to review and enter to select.

Troops to Teachers Program

Troops to Teachers (TTT) is a program run by the Department of Defense (DoD) and the Defense Activity for Non-Traditional Educational Support (DANTES), whose objective is to assist transitioning service members to become employed as teachers, assist American youth by providing good role models, and assist schools by providing teachers in critical subjects (math, science, special education, foreign language, and career-technical) for needy schools.

Visit the National Troops to Teachers website for more information.

Benefits and Services

Counseling and Career Services

The TTT National Office is available to assist with counseling, information about state certification requirements and facilitating employment.

Counseling: TTT provides counseling and helps participants navigate state requirements for eligible members of the armed forces to become a teacher in an eligible or high need school. 

Career: TTT facilitates employment by connecting qualified participants with schools that are hiring. They work with a variety of schools and will provide you information on which schools are hiring so you can choose where you will teach.


Financial Assistance

Financial assistance in the form of a stipend and/or a bonus may be available to participants who meet certain education, military service and registration requirements.  The maximum amount of financial assistance provided to eligible TTT participants may not exceed $10,000. 

Teaching Stipend: This payment is up to $5,000 to cover expenses incurred by the participant to obtain the required educational level, certification, or licensing.  The $5,000 stipend is not available to those who are eligible for the Post-9/11 GI Bill®.

Signing Bonus: A bonus is a payment of up to $10,000 for eligible participants as an incentive to teach in an eligible or high need school.

Who Qualifies?

Please review the military and educational requirements listed below to receive financial assistance through the Troops to Teachers program. Individuals may qualify to receive counseling and referral services from Troops to Teachers, even if they do not meet the requirements to receive financial assistance.

Military Status Requirements

Financial Assistance: 

Military service requirements to receive financial assistance include:

  • Retired from active duty on or after October 1, 1999 (must apply within three years after separation from service)
  • Active duty member with approved date of retirement with one year or less remaining before retirement
  • Transferred to the Retired Reserve
  • Retired or separated for a service-connected physical disability on or after January 8, 2002 (must apply within three years after separation from service). Physical disability must be noted on service separation document, not a VA determination.
  • Individuals transitioning from active duty on or after January 8, 2002, and have served four or more years of continuous active duty immediately before separation, and execute a written agreement to serve for three or more years with a Selected Reserve unit (must apply within three years after separation from service)
  • Individuals that have completed six or more years of creditable service towards retirement on or after January 8, 2002 and execute a written agreement to serve for three or more years with a Selected Reserve unit (must apply within three years after separation from service)
  • If you are not retired or separated due to physical disability, you must agree to serve as a member of the Selected Reserve of a reserve component of the armed forces for a minimum of three years.

Counseling and Referral Services: 

A member of the armed forces is eligible to receive counseling and referral services from TTT if the member’s last period of service was characterized as “honorable.”  A member selected to participate in the program before retirement or separation from service may continue to participate after separation if his/her last period of service is characterized as honorable.

Educational Requirements

In order to receive the TTT bonus, applicants must meet one of the below educational requirements, depending on their teaching desires.

Vocational/Technical Teacher:

  • The equivalent of one year of college from an accredited institution of higher education or the equivalent in military education and training as certified by the DoD or meet the certification or licensing requirements in the State in which the participant will be teaching.

Academic Subject Teacher:

  • Baccalaureate or advanced degree from an accredited institution

Learn more by visiting the national Troops to Teachers website.

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at http://www.benefits.va.gov/gibill.

Chat Live
Request Info
Apply Now
Visit Liberty