Military Deployment

Liberty University greatly appreciates your service and the sacrifices you make daily to secure our freedom. When you are faced with a deployment or unexpected duty, we have processes in place to assist you.  If you find that your duty may have an impact on your academic progress, it is important that you contact us as soon as possible so that we may help you through this transition.

Quick Links:

Student Deployment Guide

Below we have outlined the steps you need to take when you are notified of an upcoming deployment.

Step 1



Review our Deployment Tips for Success for information on establishing a FERPA Pin number, setting up a Power of Attorney, and other helpful steps you can take to prepare for your deployment.

Step 2


Contact your professor(s)

If you are currently enrolled in courses, you should let your professor(s) know about your situation as soon as possible. Our professors are aware of the issues that face military students and can often work with you by giving extensions or assigning work so you can complete the course while fulfilling your military obligation.

Step 3


Review your options

Review your Course Schedule for the semester and identify any possible scheduling conflicts. If you will be in class during the time you are going to be deployed, you may have the following options:

  • Drop the course: Online students that have not yet started the course or completed any coursework, and residential students that are still within the add/drop period, may be able to drop the course without any tuition charged.
  • Complete the course: If you have already started the course and your professor is able to work with you to overcome any challenges related to your deployment, you may stay enrolled and complete the course.
  • Withdraw from the course:  If you have already started the course, but you do not feel you will be able to successfully complete the course due to your deployment, you may consider withdrawing. Please see Military Withdrawals for more information on withdrawing and the process for requesting a military withdrawal.

Special Note: Residential students that are able to complete the current semester but will not be able to attend the following semester due to deployment will need to contact the Student Advocate Office before deploying.

Step 4


Follow up on your benefits

If changes to your enrollments are necessary, any military benefits you are using may need to be adjusted.

Tuition Assistance

  • If you are utilizing military Tuition Assistance, please contact your local Education Office and notify them of your change in enrollment. Many Education Offices will need to get a copy of your orders or require other documents in order to avoid recoupment of your Tuition Assistance funds.

GI Bill®

  • If you are utilizing GI Bill benefits, we will report your change in enrollment status to the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs for you. You will receive correspondence directly from the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs regarding the effect your change in status may have on your GI Bill benefits.


Returning From Deployment

Step 1


Contact Liberty University

Upon your return, you will need to contact Liberty University to determine what steps are needed to continue your education. Online students should contact Academic Advising and Residential students should contact the Student Advocate Office Military contact listed below.

Academic Advising:

Student Advocate Office:

  • Name: Holly Nickerson
  • Phone: (434) 582-2355
  • Email:
  • Location: Demoss Room 2247
  • Hours: M-F: 9am-6pm; W: 9am-5pm

Step 2


Request to be reinstated in your program

If you have broken enrollment in the program due to your deployment, we can have you reinstated under your original degree plan. Online students may email and residential students may email to request reinstatement into their program. Your deployment orders or other military documents should be submitted to verify your inactivity due to deployment.

Step 3


Get connected

We are here to assist you with resuming your education and using your military benefits. Please contact our office to see if any updated documentation is needed to ensure your benefits are posted to your account without delay. Residential students may visit our Military Student Liaison in-person for this assistance.

You may also want to join the Student Veterans Association (SVA). The mission of the SVA is to provide fellowship for student veterans, to support new student veterans in coordination with Liberty’s Military Affairs Office, and to create veteran-oriented Christian service opportunities. Visit or email to get connected.


GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at