Frequently Asked Questions

These regulations are subject to change without notice should changes become necessary to facilitate the parking program.
All motor vehicle and parking regulations are in effect 24 hours a day, all year-round.

1. Who needs to register a vehicle?

Any motor vehicle (including motorcycles and mopeds) or bicycle operated or parked on property owned or controlled by Liberty University must display a valid Liberty University parking permit or pass. The type of permit or pass indicates the areas in which the vehicle must be parked. It is the responsibility of the individual student, faculty, or staff member to personally obtain any temporary parking permit. See Parking Registration and Fees section for more information.


2. Why did my vehicle get towed?

Any violation of the regulations in this book subjects a vehicle to towing, impound, and immobilization. Specific No Parking and Tow Zones are marked on campus. However the absence of a sign does not exempt towing for any location on campus for any violation contained herein. OFFICIALLY POSTED SIGNS TAKE PRECEDENCE OVER THE TRAFFIC AND PARKING REGULATIONS HANDBOOK. See Towing and Immobilization of Vehicles for more information.


3. I am a student and a member of Thomas Road Baptist Church, can I park in TRBC, LCA, or ELC parking spaces?

Liberty University Police Dept. (L.U.P.D.) will enforce traffic and parking regulations on the property of Thomas Road Baptist Church, Old Time Gospel Hour or any other related ministry. Parking in areas designated for TRBC, LCA, or ELC are reserved for those with the proper decal.


4. If I am an ELC student’s parent, where do I park?

You must park according to the Liberty University decal you were issued. ELC spots to pickup/drop off are only for registered ELC student’s parent to pick up and drop off student. The parent must have the proper hangtag issued by the Early Learning Center. Persons parked there greater than a reasonable amount of time to pickup/drop off registered ELC students will be ticketed and/or towed at the owners expense, despite proper displaying an ELC permit.


5. Are Liberty University Police officers certified with the State?

Yes. All officers are certified or licensed by the Commonwealth of Virginia. Police officers may issue Virginia summons for violations of Virginia law, including but not limited to:

  • Reckless Driving
  • Hit and Run
  • Driving under the Influence of Alcohol or Drugs

Disrespect to a Police or Emergency Services Officer will result in disciplinary action from the dean’s office if a student.  If an employee, disciplinary action will be taken through the office of Human Resources. Interfering with an officer in performance of their duty will result in a $50 fine, a report, and possible criminal charges.


6. What if something happens to my vehicle while on campus?

The University assumes no responsibility for loss or damage to private property.


7. I need to leave my car on campus while school is not in session, but I will not be in the area, what do I need to do?

You need to bring a copy of the key to the vehicle being let on campus, your vehicle registration, and your driver’s license to the LUPD Records Dept. Upon bringing your vehicle registration and spare key to the L.U.P.D. Records Dept, paperwork will need to be filled out and you will be instructed where to leave your vehicle on campus by L.U.P.D. This should be done the business day of or before leaving the vehicle here.


8. I have a special circumstance; how do I obtain a special parking pass to accommodate my situation?

Variations from these regulations, or any special considerations, will only be granted by the Chief of Police or his authorized representative. All such requests must be in writing, and for student requests, must be from a faculty member, staff member, medical professional or other authority who is responsible for student seeking a variance or special consideration.


9. How do I pay a parking ticket?

L.U.P.D. accepts no payment(s) for any traffic fees or fines (including vehicle registration). All traffic fees and fines are payable at the Student Accounts Office.


10. How do I dispute a ticket I received?

You must submit an appeal to the L.U.P.D. Records Dept. See Parking Regulations and Fines for information about this process.


11. I allowed someone to park my vehicle and they received a ticket, why did the fines get charged to my student account?

Tickets are charged to the student who registered the vehicle. See Parking Registration and Fees for more information.


12. Who do I contact if my question is not answered in the Traffic and Parking Regulations?

For any questions please contact the L.U.P.D. Records Department at or 434-592-3080.