Skip to content
When autocomplete options are available, use up and down arrows to review and enter to select.

 Frequently Asked Questions

  • Q: Is there an audition process required for admission into The Spirit Of The Mountain?

    A:  Yes.  All persons interested in joining the Liberty University Marching Band must first complete the Marching Band Application found on our website, then submit a video audition. Please contact Shelby Jones, Assistant Director, for additional information or with online application trouble-shooting questions.  Please visit the Marching Band Audition Page for specific information regarding the video audition.

  • Q: When will I know if my audition was approved?

    A:  Typically the Director or Assistant Director will contact you by email within 5 business days of your submission and notify you of your acceptance decision. 

  • Q: Am I expected to provide my personal instrument?

    A:  All woodwind players and trumpet players must provide thier own instrument.  All flute players will be required to play and provide their own Piccolo.  Mellophone, Baritone, Trombone, and Tuba players will all be issued school owned, silver instruments.  All Front Ensemble, Battery, and Guard will have their instrument/equipment issued to them upon their arrival for camp.

  • Q: Is the Spirit Of The Mountain Marching Band a class?

    A: Yes.  The Spirit of the Mountain Marching Band is a one credit course, for which all members must register, and meets MWF from 3:20 p.m. to 5:20 p.m.  Marching Band class is our field/music rehearsal time--we do not hold an indoor music rehearsal and a separate marching rehearsal. The course is MUSC 184-001 for all members in their 1st-4th semesters in the band program (1st or 2nd for colorguard), and MUSC 484-001 for members in their 5th semester or more (3rd or more for colorguard). In addition, each section will meet for 1 hour each week, outside of band rehearsal, to work on music and drill issues within the section.

  • Q: Are members required to purchase their own uniforms?

    A:  No.  Uniforms are provided to band members for the season.  All members will pay a $30 deposit.  All marching band members are required to purchase black "Drill Master" shoes, and the hornline and front ensemble members are also required to purchase black cotton gloves.  All guard members should contact the Guard Instructor, Bryanna Tester, for additional uniform information.

  • Q: Does the marching band travel to away games during the season?

    A:  Yes.  The Spirit of the Mountain typically travels to one or two events each season, in addition to its performance at all home football games and hosting a high school marching band competition.  Trip expenses such as food, transportation and lodging are covered by the band.

  • Q: Will I receive a scholarship as a member of the Spirit Of The Mountain?

    A:  Yes!  All members of the Liberty University Marching Band receive a scholarship in the amount of $1500.00 for the first fall semester, and this amount increases for each additional consecutive fall semester that a student is involved in the marching band through their fourth (or more) fall semester the member receives $3000.00.  The total award for a marching band member who continues marching each year of undergraduate study will amount to $9000.00 across four fall semesters.

  • Q: Do I have to move into my dorm early?

    A:  Yes.  You will be able to get your dorm key from the Office of Student Housing on the date you are scheduled to arrive for band camp.  The band will cover your lodging expenses beginning on the designated check-in date.  You may choose to move in early, but there will be an additional charge to the student's account for each day that a student chooses to arrive before their designated camp check-in date. 

chat live 2 Chat Live
Asset 1 Request Info
Asset 1 Apply Now
visit Visit Liberty