COUN 698 Practicum
Spring 2016 application deadline has passed.
Upcoming Practicum application deadlines:
- Summer 2016: Feb. 29, 2016
- Fall 2016:
- Spring 2017:
- Summer: 2017
- All approval documents must be submitted to the Practicum Office through the SharePoint submission portal prior to the deadline listed above. No late documents will be accepted. Submission of the above forms does not mean automatic acceptance of the proposed site and/or supervisor: they must be approved first. The university wants to make sure the student's proposed site will provide a good education experience and that it has adequate oversight and safeguards built in to ensure an appropriate clinical environment.
View Practicum Opportunities
The Practicum/Internship Office offers state site lists, for each state. These lists are complied of sites previously used by Liberty Students. If you would like a copy of a state site list sent to you, please email your request to firstname.lastname@example.org with the state you would like a state list.
- As of Spring 2014, official start date for Practicum is the first official day of the academic semester.
- The COUN 698 Practicum course is a full-semester commitment. Students will remain with their Practicum site and supervisor for the duration of the academic semester. Students must complete all Practicum hours and requirements within 1 academic semester (A-term course). The course is 17 weeks in Fall and Spring semesters and 15 weeks in Summer.
- Students are allowed a maximum of 2 sites and 2 supervisors for Practicum.
- Students must complete a Background Check or a Re-Check through American DataBank as part of Practicum application. Please visit the Background Check website in the menu to the left for further instructions.
Requirements and Preparation
- Must have 3.0 cumulative GPA or above by the posted application deadline
- Complete Prerequisites: COUN 500, 501, 502, 504, 505, 510, 512, 515 (formally 503), 521, 522, 646, 667*
- All prerequisite courses are non-negotiable and must be successfully completed prior to the start of the Practicum.
- *COUN students can only enroll in COUN 667 and the Practicum in the same semester if their 667 Intensive occurs before or in the same month as the start date for the Practicum. For example, if the Spring 2016 start date for the practicum is January 18, then to enroll in the Practicum for the Spring term, the student must take the 667 Intensive in the month of January or before. If 667 is taken in February or March, then registration for the Practicum will be for the Summer 2016 term.
- Find a Practicum site and supervisor
- Due to the potential time required in locating a site and supervisor, students are encouraged to begin looking for a site and supervisor 3-4 months prior to the application submission deadline set by the Practicum/Internship Office.
- Submit all the required approval paperwork through the online submission portal by the application deadline
- After your documents have been approved, you will receive an approval email with your start date for earning hours. The Practicum Office will register you for the course.
- Degree Completion Plan Audit (Located under Student Tab in ASIST)
- American Databank Background Check Receipt (Background check and FBI fingerprinting) (VA Child Abuse also required only for students residing in Virginia).
- Supervisor's License Verification (Found on your state counseling board website; includes name, license number, issue date, expiration date, & current/active)
- Fieldwork Contract (signed by the supervisor & student)
- Choose one of the following packets:
- Approval Documents for New York students ONLY :
- Supervisor & Site Information Forms (signed by the site director, the supervisor, & student)
- Digital Photo of Student (Examples: Driver's License or Student ID)
- Copy of Student Liability Insurance.pdf Face Sheet
- Affiliation Agreement (Signed by the site & student)
- How to complete the Affiliation Agreement.
Note: The informed consent and how the site maintains records will need to be submitted with a copy of the Fieldwork Contract for potential school/church sites.
Note: Students need to check with their state counseling board for Practicum requirements for their state.
Changing/Adding Your Practicum Site/Supervisor
Students are allowed to switch sites/supervisors, add an additional site/supervisor,or drop a site/supervisor during their Practicum experience. Students must follow the procedures laid out for the listed in the Practicum Site and Supervisor Change Procedures document.
Practicum Site and Supervisor Change Procedures
Below is a list of the types of sites that can typically be approved for practicum fieldwork:
- Counseling agency
- Private practice
- University counseling center
- Community services board
*A potential school site must provide mental health services to elementary, middle, and/or high school-aged students. The site must use approved informed consent and maintain records of counseling sessions.
**A potential church site must be an established church counseling center/services that uses approved informed consent and maintains client records of counseling sessions.
Approved Supervisors for Practicum
Examples of Supervisors
- Licensed Clinical Social Worker (LCSW)
- Licensed Mental Health Counselor (LMHC)
- Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist (LMFT)
- Licensed Professional Counselor (LPC)
- Licensed Psychologist (LP) – a Psychologist that earned a doctoral degree in Psychology (Psy. D.)
- Ph.D. or Ed.D. in Counselor Education and Supervision (from an accredited university)
- Doctorate degrees that are not in the counseling field or are unaccredited
- Licensed Master Social Worker (LMSW) – with the only exception of the macro- or clinical- designations in the state of Michigan.
- Limited Licensed Professional Counselor (LLPC)
- Master of Divinity
- Pastoral Counselors
- School Counselors
- Supervisors who are not licensed in the same state as the practicum site.