(434) 582-3824 (fax)
DeMoss Hall, Room 1314
- Ph.D., Capella University
- Ed.S., Florida State University
- M.S.A., Ohio University
- B.S., Ohio University
- Sport Marketing and Public Relations (SMGT 501)
- Economics and Financial Management in Sport (SMGT 506)
- Sport Development & Sales (SMGT 632)
Since 2008, Dr. Chrystal Porter has served as the Assistant Dean of Sport Science and Fitness Studies and Assistant Professor/Chair of Sport Management at Endicott College in Beverly, Mass. At Endicott College, Porter provides leadership and vision for the Sport Management, Athletic Training and Physical Education academic majors, the Exercise Science minor, and the coaching certification. She is responsible for the supervision of six full-time faculty members, eight part-time adjuncts, four non-teaching faculty academic advisors and an administrative assistant.
From 2006-2010, Porter ran her own academic consulting company, College Strategies LLC in Aurora, Ill. She also held a variety of academic and administrative positions from 2002-2005 at North Central College in Naperville, Ill. These positions included Assistant Director of Graduate and Continuing Education Admissions (2004-2005), Assistant Director of Freshman Admission (2003-2004) and Freshman Admission Counselor (2002-2003).
Sport Industry Experience
Prior to entering higher education, Porter served as a sales associate for the Denver Nuggets and Colorado Avalanche in Denver, Colo. She also completed a variety of quality internships at prominent sports organizations such as the Bonham Group, The Women's Sports Foundation, Denver Nuggets and Ohio University Athletics.
Porter's entry into the sport industry started during her teenage years when she worked as a ball girl for the Denver Nuggets. Her sport industry experiences have included ticket sales, event management, sponsorship evaluation, and game operations. Academically, three of her five degrees are related to sport management.
Porter is committed to assisting sport management students with maximizing their student status so they are adequately prepared to begin their careers in the sport industry. She accomplishes this by helping sport management students to view the sport industry as the future professionals they aspire to become. She is able to accomplish this in the classroom and through her "Dr. Chrystal" online mediums including Twitter, Facebook, and Slideshare.
Porter is an accomplished presenter. She is routinely asked to present on topics related to utilizing social media in higher education, teaching millennial generation college students, career preparation and sport industry career preparation.
Porter is married to Brian Porter, who is currently the Director of Baseball Initiatives for Major League Baseball Advance Media. She is the mother of two daughters. She is a member of LifeChurch.tv.
Selected Works of Research
- Porter, C.D. (2009). Studying Sports: How to Maximize Your Sport Management Student Status. College Strategies Books: Longview, TX.
- Porter, C.D. (2008, December). Professor Teaches Students About Personal Branding and They Respond. Retrieved from PersonalBrandingBlog.com Website: http://personalbrandingblog.com/professor-teaches-students-about-personal-branding-and-they-respond/
- Porter, C.D. (Ed) (2008). The Sport Enterprise: A Student's Perspective. College Strategies Books: Longview, TX.
- Porter, C. D. (2007). Collegiate Expectations: Teaching Millennial Students. College Strategies Books: Longview, TX.
- Porter, C.D. (2007). The Collegiate Expectations of Millennial College Students (Doctoral dissertation, Capella University, 2007).
- Porter, C. D. (2002). [Review of Beyond the Cheers: Race as Spectacle in College Sport]. The Journal of the National Academic Advising Association, 21(1 & 2).
- Denmark, C. (2000). [Review of Nike As A Goddess: The History of Women in Sport]. Women in Sport & Physical Activity Journal, 9(2).
- Porter, C. D. (2011). Reflections of My Christian Education. Presented at the North Shore Christian School Annual
Fundraising Dinner, North Shore Christian School, Lynn, MA.
- Porter, C. D. (2010). Marketing with Social Media. Presented for the graduate school administration, Endicott
College, Beverly, MA.
- Porter, C. D. (2010). Slidecasting 101. Presented for The Center of Teaching Excellence, Endicott College, Beverly,
- Porter, C. D. (2010). Athletics & Academics. Presented at Student-Athlete Welcome, Endicott College, Beverly, MA.
- Porter, C. D. (2010). Baseball and Sport Management. Presented for the Baseball Industry Network, Boston,
- Porter, C. D. (2010). Millennial Management. Presented for the North of Boston Convention & Visitors Bureau,
- Porter, C. D. (2009). Web 2.0 for Librarians. Presented for the NOBLE Collections Management Group, Endicott
College, Beverly, MA.
- Porter, C. D. (2009). It’s Possible. Presented at Accepted Students Day, Endicott College, Beverly, MA.
- Porter, C. D. (2009). Web 2.0 for Educators. Presented for The Center of Teaching Excellence, Endicott College,
- Porter, C. D. (2008). Athletics & Academics. Presented at CHAMPS Student Life Skills Student Welcome, Endicott
College, Beverly, MA.
- Porter, C. D. (2007). Retaining Our Students. Presented at the Wiley College Faculty Institute, Longview, TX.
- Porter, C. D. (2006). College Strategies. Presented at Building Leadership in the African-American Community for
Kids Conference, Aurora, CO.
- Porter, C. D. (2005). Search Strategies and Tools for Jobs, Internships, & Graduate School. Presented at North
Central College, Naperville, IL.
- Denmark, C. (2001). Sport Management Programs: How Are We Doing? Presented at the National Association for
Physical Education in Higher Education National Conference, Amelia Island, FL.
- Denmark, C. (2001). Sport Management Programs: Bridging the Gap. Presented a the American Alliance in Health,
Physical Education, Recreation, and Dance Southern District Conference, Birmingham,
- Denmark, C. (2000). African-American Women in Sport: When Will Her Place Be Recognized? Presented at the
Florida State University Physical Education and Sport Administration Annual Sport Management Conference, Tallahassee, FL.
- Denmark, C. (2000). Preparing Sport Managers. Presented at the Florida Alliance of Health, Physical Recreation, and Dance Annual Conference Orlando, FL.
- Denmark, C. (1999). Sports: A Positive Approach to Working With Females. Presented at the National Association of Blacks in Criminal Justice National Conference Dallas, TX.
Favorite Scripture Verse
“I keep my eyes always on the Lord. With him at my right hand, I will not be shaken” (Psalm 16:8 NIV).