Frequently Asked Questions

1. Is there an audition process required for admission into The  Spirit of the Mountain?
All persons interested in joining the Liberty University Marching Band must first submit the Marching Band Student Information Form.  Please contact Christopher Coker, Assistant Director, with your name and mailing address for this form.  As a result, you will receive an application, DVD and scholarship information via USPS mail. For woodwind and brass, battery, front ensemble, and guard, please visit the Marching Band Audition Page for specific information.

2. Am I expected to provide my personal instrument?

 - Woodwind and trumpet players should use their personal instruments.  All other brass and percussion instruments are provided by the university, and will be assigned at registration time.  We play all sterling silver, bell-front, valve instruments: Mellophones, Slide Trombones, Baritones, and Tubas.  All slide trombonists will be provided with very nice silver slide trombone.

3. Is The Spirit of the Mountain Marching Band a class?

Yes.  The Spirit of the Mountain Marching Band is a one credit class, for which all members must register, and meets MWF from 3:05 p.m. to 5:05 p.m.  Marching Band class is our field/music rehearsal time--we do not hold an indoor music rehearsal and a separate marching rehearsal, as do most high school marching bands. The course is MUSC 184-001 for all members in their 1st-4th semesters in the band program (1st or 2nd for colorguard), and MUSC 484-001 for members in their 5th semester or more (3rd or more for colorguard). In addition, each section will meet for 1 hour each week, outside of band rehearsal, to work on music and drill issues within the section.

4. Are members required to purchase their own uniforms?

 - No.  Uniforms are provided to band members for the season.  A $30 damage deposit is collected at band camp registration, and is returned to the student at the end of the band season, provided the uniform is returned in an approved condition.  All marching band members are required to purchase black "Drill Master" shoes, and the hornline and front ensemble members are also required to purchase black cotton gloves.

5. How often does the marching band travel during the season?

The Spirit of the Mountain typically travels to one or two events each season, in addition to its performance at all home football games and hosting a high school marching band competition.  Trip expenses such as food, transportation and lodging are covered by the band.

6. Will I receive a scholarship as a member of The Spirit of the Mountain?

- Yes!  All members of the Liberty University Marching Band receive a scholarship in the amount of $1200.00 for the first fall semester, and this amount increases for each additional consecutive fall semester that a student is involved in the marching band through their fourth (or more) fall semester the member receives $3000.00.  The total award, for a student beginning enrollment for the 2014 fall semester, will amount to $8700.00 across four fall semesters.