CMHC 699 Internship
Deadline to apply for an internship in the 2015 summer semester:
July 13, 2015
2015 Fall Submission Portal- Internship
Upcoming internship application deadlines:
- Spring 2016: December 7, 2015
- Summer 2016: April 4, 2016
- Students' start date to begin logging internship hours will be no earlier than the first official day of the academic semester.
- The CMHC 699 internship course is a full-semester commitment. Students will remain with their internship site and supervisor for the duration of the academic semester.
- Students must complete a background check as part of internship application. Please visit the background check website in the menu to the left for further instructions.
- For students enrolled in a degree prior to 2013-2014, the practicum and internship can still be completed in consecutive semesters.
Requirements and Preparation
- Must have a 3.0 cumulative GPA by the posted application deadline
- Complete Prerequisites: CMHC 500, 501, 502, 504, 505, 506, 510, 512, 515, 521, 598, 601, 646, 667*, 698
- Note: Students enrolled in a degree completion plan prior to 2013-2014 or took COUN 501 before Fall 2013 will not be required to complete CMHC 500 as a prerequisite to CMHC 699.
*Students MAY NOT enroll in CMHC 667 and CMHC 699 in the same semester. You must successfully pass CMHC 667 in order to enroll in CMHC 699.
- Find an internship site and supervisor
- Due to the potential time required in locating a site and supervisor, students are encouraged to begin looking for a site and supervisor 3-4 months prior to the application submission deadline set by the practicum/internship office.
- The practicum/internship office offers a site list for the state of Virginia. This list is compiled of sites and supervisors previously used by Liberty students. If you would like a copy of the state site list sent to you, please email your request to CMHCinternship@liberty.edu.
- Submit all the required approval paperwork by the deadline through the online submission portal
- After your documents have been approved, you will receive an official approval email with your start date for earning hours. The Internship Office will register you for the course.
- Please note that the CMHC 699 internship course is approximately 16 weeks in the fall and spring semesters and 14 weeks in summer.
- Fieldwork Contract (signed by the supervisor & the student)
- Supervisor & Site Information Form (signed by the site director, the supervisor, & the student)
- Digital Photo of Student
- Copy of Student Liability Insurance
- American Databank Background Check Receipt (Background check and FBI fingerprinting) (VA Child Abuse also required for students residing in Virginia).
- Choose from the following packet options:
- Affiliation Agreement (Signed by the site)
- How to complete the Affiliation Agreement
Below is a list of the types of sites that can typically be approved for internship fieldwork:
- Counseling agency
- Private practice
- University counseling center
- Community services board
*A potential school site must provide mental health services to elementary, middle, and/or high school-aged students. The site must use approved informed consent and maintain records of counseling sessions.
**A potential church site must be an established church counseling center/services that uses approved informed consent and maintains client records of counseling sessions.
Approved Supervisors for Internship
Examples of Supervisors
- Licensed Clinical Social Worker (LCSW)
- Licensed Mental Health Counselor (LMHC)
- Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist (LMFT)
- Licensed Professional Counselor (LPC)
- Licensed Psychologist (LP) – a Psychologist that earned a doctoral degree in Psychology (Psy. D.)
- Ph.D. in Counselor Education and Supervision (from an accredited university)
- Doctorate degrees that are not in the counseling field or are unaccredited
- Licensed Master Social Worker (LMSW) – with the only exception of the macro- or clinical- designations in the state of Michigan.
- Limited Licensed Professional Counselor (LLPC)
- Master of Divinity
- Pastoral Counselors
- School Counselors
- Supervisors who are not licensed in the same state as the internship site.
Changing/Adding Your Internship Site/Supervisor
Students are allowed to switch sites/supervisors or add an additional site/supervisor during their internship experience. Students must follow the procedures laid out for the listed in the Internship Site and Supervisor Change Procedures document.
Internship Site and Supervisor Change Procedures